Re: Whew! pretty long dry spell here is ASA

On Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 8:21:56 AM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:

>=20
>=20
> As an extra side note.  Don't you wish that the Medical Profession would
> view you as a Customer as opposed to a Patient??  If they did maybe the
> Customer would not have to be overly Patient!!
>=20
> Did you ever wonder why when you are going to see a doctor you are
> considered a Patient as opposed to a customer or client??
> Could it be that the meaning of the same word got twisted somehow??
>=20
> According to Wikipedia:
> Etymology. The word patient originally meant 'one who suffers'. This=20
> English noun comes from the Latin word patiens, the present participle=20
> of the deponent verb, patior, meaning 'I am suffering,' and akin to the=
=20
> Greek verb =CF=80=CE=AC=CF=83=CF=87=CE=B5=CE=B9=CE=BD (=3D paskhein, to s=
uffer) and its cognate noun =CF=80=CE=AC=CE=B8=CE=BF=CF=82 (=3D=20
> pathos).
>=20
> All Greek to me!!!
>=20
> Needless to say I am presently dealing with some medical issues and
> have become frustrated with the process and AM NOT being a Patient
> Patient.
>=20
>=20
> Les

Hmmm Funny you should say that.(and keep in mind that my wife is a head nur=
se for a group of 5 surgeons)=20

Quite a number of years ago it finally dawned on me that the medical profes=
sion had really been taken over by the "legalized protection racket" (Good =
description Bob)(and thank you Hillary Clinton) and doctors were no longer =
in charge of their services. Up until then, doctors made a lot of money and=
 could do just about anything they wanted to do as far as patient care. For=
 the most part, patient care was from a compassionate source and although n=
ot perfect, it had worked through the ages successfully. Once the control h=
ad switched to the racketeers, it became a business.=20

I realized that pretty early on and began treating the medical profession a=
s a business. I call, make an appointment, I go to the office, and when I a=
rrive I tell them that I can wait no longer than one hours. I wait one hour=
 and if not called. tell the receptionist I have to leave and please give m=
e another appointment. Their response is always, Oh the doctor will be righ=
t with you. And I say, I don't care, I'm leaving now, may I have another ap=
pointment? This usually creates a scurry of action behind the counter as it=
 apparently never happens that a "customer" leaves because they are not get=
ting good service. I get the next appointment and if the same thing happens=
 I have switched doctors twice in the last 15/20 years because I've had to =
consistently wait too long in waiting rooms. And, when I leave I make a big=
 scene. A rant as you might describe it.

You have to make the change in the aspect that you look at this with.

Most people think of the doctor patient relationship as if the patient neee=
eds the doctor.  But now that the insur --- umm racketeers have control. yo=
u can think of it as  ----- the doctor neeeeds the patient. If you look at =
it that way, and that there is always another doctor you can go to, just li=
ke doing business, it changes how you can deal with them.=20
For instance:
Contest the price of services if inappropriate, I do not pay for services j=
ust added on that I haven't previously approved. During the filling out of =
forms where it says that I will be responsible for services not covered by =
my insurance, I don't sign it. I write in " I will not be responsible for u=
napproved services" They never check the forms for signature.

One outcome of that was ---- I had an opthamologist try to charge me $30.00=
 for some kind of extra test. I refused to pay it. They said I had signed a=
pproval. I said I didn't and they should check their records. They obviousl=
y never checked or if they did they continued to bill me for almost a year =
then sent it to collection. When I got the collection notice I wrote on the=
 bill, " I did not approve payment for services not covered by  my insuranc=
e." I never got another bill.=20

Another rant I went on was when I had a 3PM appointment with a doctor. When=
 I arrived the waiting room was packed, standing room only. They asked me t=
o sign in. The sign-in sheet asked what time my appointment was so I wrote =
in 3PM. As I glanced at the list I saw that 5 other people had 3PM appointm=
ents with the same doctor. I asked the receptionist why there were so many =
for the same time and she said " Oh we regularly over book so the doctor is=
 never without a patient." I just hit the ceiling! WHAT ???? So we're all s=
upposed to sit here for the next 2 or three hours because there are 5 other=
 people with the same appointment time ? ? ? And what about the other docto=
rs here? Are they all over booked too? I loudly asked the other people in t=
he waiting room if they thought that was appropriate to do and did they pla=
n to spend the rest of their day waiting for a doctor who overbooked 5 peop=
le?=20
AHHHHHGGGGGGG Two other people walked out with me after my rant.=20
I'm sure they must have changed their sign-in sheet after that event.

Try it. Treat them like a business. It confuses the hell out of them.

And for me, it does my soul good   8-))

As I've said before. I used to wonder where cranky old men come from.
Now I know.