Re: Whew! pretty long dry spell here is ASA

On 9/26/2020 11:13 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 9/26/2020 12:06 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> On 9/25/2020 11:11 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>>
>> On a more positive note.  I think I rediscovered my new/old tire
>> service shop.
>>
>> I have always tried to support other local businesses, but not at the
>> expense of good service and fair pricing, and definitely not at the
>> cost of exposing myself to dishonest practices.  As a result I have
>> wound up getting most of my tires from a national chain.  Discount
>> Tire.  They are mostly ok, but I have to check my tires myself when I
>> get back to the shop just to be safe.  If buying tires service is
>> decent even if I always wind up waiting to get the work done.  Fixing
>> a flat is usually free, but they kind of make it a pain.  If I don't
>> sit there and wait it doesn't get done.  I can't drop off a loose tire
>> and pick it up when they say.  Never.  If they say an hour, what they
>> mean is an hour after I get back after taking care of other things for
>> two hours.  I get it. Servicing a guy who is buying $2000 worth of new
>> tires and rims gets prioritized over the guy who bought his tires from
>> them six months ago and just needs a flat fixed.  Anyway, I don't like
>> going there to get a flat fixed.
>>
>> Recently I had not one, but two flats on two different vehicles, and
>> my son picked up a nail in a tire on his car.  I decided to go to one
>> of those little open air fenced in tire shops out on Avenue B.  Yuma
>> Tire. I used to go there when I was a young man living paycheck to
>> paycheck and often couldn't afford new tires.  They were a little
>> busy, but somebody came over to me right away, and in short order they
>> had my tire off and on the machine. No bullshit.  No up sells.  No
>> scams.  They quickly fixed my tire and in 20-25 minutes I was headed
>> out the drive. Ten bucks.
>>
>> I sent my son over there a few days later to get his tire fixed, and
>> he had the same experience.  No bullshit.  No scams.  No up sells.  15
>> minutes. Ten bucks.  I had to ask him about it.
>>
>> In the past it seemed like every tire shop my son went to tried to
>> scam him or up sell him.  I guess folks think its ok to take advantage
>> of a kid.  I would get a call while he was at the shop or in one case
>> walking to the bank to get $30 to pay to fix a flat on a new tire we
>> had bought at that shop.  He didn't pay for that repair, but I had to
>> call the shop and tell the owner it was pretty unethical trying to rip
>> off a kid.
>>
>> Anyway.  Yuma Tire.  No bullshit.  Quick service.  No Scams.  Ten bucks.
>>
>> Yesterday I decided I needed to get the slow leak fixed on my Jeep, so
>> I headed back over to Yuma Tire.  Before heading over I threw a
>> fishing rod and a small box of baits in the back, so I could hit the
>> canal bank for a few minutes on the way home.
>>
>> The lot was empty when I got there.  That concerned me.  Where they
>> closed?  Was business falling off for them?  I would sure hate to lose
> [...]

Funny.  I had two tire shops as customers at one time.  One I was warned
about by a government contractor who was also a client.  They said they
had a vehicle gone through from end to end by their own guys and then
took it over to that shop and were told several things were wrong
including the old shoot some oil on the shocks and say they are leaking
trick.  I took that with a grain of salt until that shop tried to sell
me my own rims.

The other was the guy who was going to charge my son $30 to fix a flat
on a tire we bought from them.

Both decided they were going to go elsewhere for their alarm business
after their respective incidents.  I was happy to let them go.  One
actually called me back to work on their phone system.  I was to busy
that day... going fishing.