Re: Whew! pretty long dry spell here is ASA

On 9/25/2020 11:11 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

On a more positive note.  I think I rediscovered my new/old tire service
shop.

I have always tried to support other local businesses, but not at the
expense of good service and fair pricing, and definitely not at the cost
of exposing myself to dishonest practices.  As a result I have wound up
getting most of my tires from a national chain.  Discount Tire.  They
are mostly ok, but I have to check my tires myself when I get back to
the shop just to be safe.  If buying tires service is decent even if I
always wind up waiting to get the work done.  Fixing a flat is usually
free, but they kind of make it a pain.  If I don't sit there and wait it
doesn't get done.  I can't drop off a loose tire and pick it up when
they say.  Never.  If they say an hour, what they mean is an hour after
I get back after taking care of other things for two hours.  I get it.
Servicing a guy who is buying $2000 worth of new tires and rims gets
prioritized over the guy who bought his tires from them six months ago
and just needs a flat fixed.  Anyway, I don't like going there to get a
flat fixed.

Recently I had not one, but two flats on two different vehicles, and my
son picked up a nail in a tire on his car.  I decided to go to one of
those little open air fenced in tire shops out on Avenue B.  Yuma Tire.
I used to go there when I was a young man living paycheck to paycheck
and often couldn't afford new tires.  They were a little busy, but
somebody came over to me right away, and in short order they had my tire
off and on the machine. No bullshit.  No up sells.  No scams.  They
quickly fixed my tire and in 20-25 minutes I was headed out the drive.
Ten bucks.

I sent my son over there a few days later to get his tire fixed, and he
had the same experience.  No bullshit.  No scams.  No up sells.  15
minutes. Ten bucks.  I had to ask him about it.

In the past it seemed like every tire shop my son went to tried to scam
him or up sell him.  I guess folks think its ok to take advantage of a
kid.  I would get a call while he was at the shop or in one case walking
to the bank to get $30 to pay to fix a flat on a new tire we had bought
at that shop.  He didn't pay for that repair, but I had to call the shop
and tell the owner it was pretty unethical trying to rip off a kid.

Anyway.  Yuma Tire.  No bullshit.  Quick service.  No Scams.  Ten bucks.

Yesterday I decided I needed to get the slow leak fixed on my Jeep, so I
headed back over to Yuma Tire.  Before heading over I threw a fishing
rod and a small box of baits in the back, so I could hit the canal bank
for a few minutes on the way home.

The lot was empty when I got there.  That concerned me.  Where they
closed?  Was business falling off for them?  I would sure hate to lose
my new tire service shop right after rediscovering them.  Nope they were
there and a guy came out right away to take care of me.  By the time he
had my tire off there were five more vehicles in the lot being serviced.
  Might have taken fifteen minutes, but it felt like ten.  No scams.  No
upsells.  No bullshit.  Ten bucks.

On the way back I stopped off and hit a few spots along one of the
canals.  I had lots of chasers on a small swimbait, but no bites.  All
small fish though.  In the next spot I tried a worm on a weighted
swimbait hook and get bit right away only to break off on the hookset.
I tried a little in a ground water recovery ditch that parallels the
canal and hod a blow up on a buzz frog, but it was a little guy. I think
my frog was bigger than he was.  Still didn't connect.

Finally swimming a heavy salted curly tail worm on a weightless swimbait
hook I stuck one.  He was just a little 8-10 inch small mouth, but in
the current below a lock on a light rod he was fun to catch.  I released
him and headed for home.

Picture at this link.
https://tinyurl.com/fishingfixing