Re: Smoke Detection in a large enclosed venue

On 11/9/2020 2:10 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 11/9/2020 1:42 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
>> On Monday, November 9, 2020 at 10:03:08 AM UTC-5, ABLE1 wrote:
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> This is a I don't know question and looking for a answer
>>> thingie.  This is not for a project or job just curious.
>>>
>>> My brother, (who only guesses an answer since he doesn't
>>> really know one way or the other).  Mentioned to me the
>>> other day that he heard that some large group was playing
>>> at a venue and because of there FOG MACHINE it tripped off
>>> the FIRE ALARM.  He then said that they must have replaced
>>> the smoke detectors to units that can only see smoke and
>>> not FOG.  Well I said to him that they more than likely
>>> turned off the smokes while the FOG was there and then
>>> turned them back on later because the smoke detectors
>>> can't tell the difference between smoke, dust, spiders and FOG.
>>>
>>> What this did was made me think what a Alarm Company would do
>>> in the case to actually meet code compliance??
>>>
>>> Beam Detectors can maybe be adjusted somehow or to maybe off.
>>>
>>> Heat Detectors can surely work and not be effected but for
>>> heat only.  Not a good thing and really not code.
>>>
>>> Ionization Smokes maybe not sure............ doubt it.
>>>
>>> Turn off, and station multiple human bodies for a fire watch
>>> during the event to yank on a Pull Station if there is a
>>> real fire event observed.
>>>
>>> Get a variance with the jurisdiction to allow something other
>>> than smoke detectors during an event that uses FOG Machines.
>>>
>>> Anybody know or been involved is something like this??
>>>
>>> Again just curious.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Les
>>
>> I"ve never used them but beyond photoelectric and Ionization there are
>> also flame detectors. Usually used in large areas.
>>

> Hi Jim,
>
> Now that is interesting..............  So would that be more
> of some kind of a video temperature sensing device of sorts??
>
> Les

Just did a quick search and found that Honeywell makes them.
They seem to have UV ratings that can see the flames themselves.
Also it appears that they are geared more for a industrial type
environments.

It would be a twist to place in a large venue since they appear
to have a range of 100 to 200 feet at a 90 to 110 degree spread.

No question it would have to be accepted by the AHJ. Not cheap
per device at about $2000+- each.

The above assessment is after looking for about 10 minutes.

I am now done looking due to brain overload.  :-)

Les