Re: Smoke Detection in a large enclosed venue

On 11/9/2020 9:03 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> This is a I don't know question and looking for a answer
> thingie.  This is not for a project or job just curious.
>
> My brother, (who only guesses an answer since he doesn't
> really know one way or the other).  Mentioned to me the
> other day that he heard that some large group was playing
> at a venue and because of there FOG MACHINE it tripped off
> the FIRE ALARM.  He then said that they must have replaced
> the smoke detectors to units that can only see smoke and
> not FOG.  Well I said to him that they more than likely
> turned off the smokes while the FOG was there and then
> turned them back on later because the smoke detectors
> can't tell the difference between smoke, dust, spiders and FOG.
>
> What this did was made me think what a Alarm Company would do
> in the case to actually meet code compliance??
>
> Beam Detectors can maybe be adjusted somehow or to maybe off.
>
> Heat Detectors can surely work and not be effected but for
> heat only.  Not a good thing and really not code.
>
> Ionization Smokes maybe not sure............ doubt it.
>
> Turn off, and station multiple human bodies for a fire watch
> during the event to yank on a Pull Station if there is a
> real fire event observed.
>
> Get a variance with the jurisdiction to allow something other
> than smoke detectors during an event that uses FOG Machines.
>
> Anybody know or been involved is something like this??
>
> Again just curious.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Les

   some AHJ's  will go with the "Human fire watch" during the event..
((smoke zone in that area disabled))
with some local FD personnel on hand, (at event's expenses) ...
   Usually  require an official inspection after the event to
re-affirm system fully operational...

"Politics", as usual is the call on this.....

--

*Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*