Re: Work Ethic, Pride in Workmanship, Sense of Accomplishment

On 1/22/2020 12:35 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 8:14:14 AM UTC-5, ABLE1 wrote:

>>> It's the very reason that I work alone and have for over 20 / 25 (?) years now.
>>>
>>> Don't know that I make more money because I have to work longer hours to accomplish what I should be able to accomplish is less then half the time if I had a worker that ------- well ------ worked or that I didn't have to go back and correct stupid mistakes and shortcuts. OR ----- have to go back and make excuses for someone else's shitty workmanship.
>>>
>>> The ono overwhelming benefit ------ I'm happy and enjoy what I do and have a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction in what I do. And ---- I get paid for it.
>>
>> Jim,
>>
>> Well said!!  So Ditto Ditto Ditto!!
>> I dropped the "employee" thing a quite a few of years ago as well.
>> My thoughts area as follows:
>>
>> If an employee shows up on time, does the job or task required,
>> efficiently, correctly, the first time, etc. they absolutely DESERVE
>> to be compensated (aka paid) for their time and efforts.
>>
>> However, if an employee is late, goof off, has to do the task twice or
>> three times, makes mistakes, blows stuff up, can't think past the moment
>> and many other issues, they are absolutely REQUIRED to be paid for their
>> time.
>>
>> Here on USENET I can't emphasize the capitalized words enough.  For
>> starters visualize in BOLD RED typeset.
>>
>> Then again as age slows me down, I have had a need for help to do
>> certain jobs.  I use subs and they work out well since for them
>> to be in their own business they are in, they need a good work ethic.
>> I appreciate that and we work very well together.
>>
>> I now, also have a part timer on payroll that I use when the subs
>> are not available and when he is free to provide the time.  His
>> work ethic is top notch.  When I thanked him one day for having
>> such good work ethic, he explained that it was his Dads fault.
>> I told him NOT to lose it!!
>>
>> Have a good hump day all.
>>
>> Les
>
> I was going to say that you were lucky to have found someone that works to your standards.
>
> But --- I guess if I hadn't given up looking I might have found someone also.
> Just took too long looking without finding someone.
>
> I happen to have four new constructions jobs going on at the same time right now. Kind of difficult scheduling around all the other contractors. Working from about 8:00 AM till sometimes 10:00 PM so I can weave in and out of the other contractors schedules. I wont go into the scopes of the jobs but the 3 home jobs have varying degrees of alarm, audio, video, whole house audio, CCTV, and internet wiring. One home has 15 audio glass break detectors.  The one commercial job has 20 Internet/telephone ports, Office music system, Alarm, TV's and CCTV. all wiring above 16 foot drop ceiling.

> [...]

Jim,

Sound like me about 5 years ago.  Three or four big projects in the
works.  Then out of no where I get a call on Thursday from Customer #1
that they are ready to drywall next Monday.  Then an hour or so later
get a call from Customer #2 that they will be ready for rough in Monday.
Then or Friday get a call from Customer #3 that the final coat of paint
is on the walls and will be ready for equipment install next week.
Uncontrollable chaos........................  One guy can only be at
one place at one time.  It is just a what it is.  Juggling multiple
balls is cruel and unusual punishment!!  Drop one ball and you might
as well pull in the dirt.  :-)

BTW my Doctor asked the same thing and I just laughed as well.  However,
just in case you didn't figure it out.  What he really should have said
was. "Are you getting any exercise ABOVE and BEYOND your normal daily
activities??

I am not and have never been a exercise person.  I even have a few
exercise gyms as customers and they have give me a free pass to use
the facilities.  I went twice a few years ago just to see how it was.
It wasn't for me.  I do realize it would be helpful but.............

Later,

Les