Re: Work Ethic, Pride in Workmanship, Sense of Accomplishment

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 8:14:14 AM UTC-5, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 1/21/2020 11:19 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> > On Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 10:40:27 AM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
> >> I wonder what ever happened to Graham.  I think he was the ne on this
> >> group who told me most people absolutely do not have those things.  He
> >> said, "A tech wants to do as little work as possible for the most amou=
nt
> >> of money possible PERIOD."
> >>
> >> Whether it was him or not... its true.  There are rare exceptions and
> >> some shades of grey, but generally its true.  I think if I had taken h=
im
> >> at his word right then and there I would have fired everybody sooner a=
nd
> >> made a lot more money.
> >=20
> > It's the very reason that I work alone and have for over 20 / 25 (?) ye=
ars now.
> >=20
> > Don't know that I make more money because I have to work longer hours t=
o accomplish what I should be able to accomplish is less then half the time=
 if I had a worker that ------- well ------ worked or that I didn't have to=
k and make excuses for someone else's shitty workmanship.
> >=20
> > The ono overwhelming benefit ------ I'm happy and enjoy what I do and h=
ave a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction in what I do. And ----=
 I get paid for it.
>=20
> Jim,
>=20
> Well said!!  So Ditto Ditto Ditto!!
> I dropped the "employee" thing a quite a few of years ago as well.
> My thoughts area as follows:
>=20
> If an employee shows up on time, does the job or task required,
> efficiently, correctly, the first time, etc. they absolutely DESERVE
> to be compensated (aka paid) for their time and efforts.
>=20
> However, if an employee is late, goof off, has to do the task twice or
> three times, makes mistakes, blows stuff up, can't think past the moment=
=20
> and many other issues, they are absolutely REQUIRED to be paid for their=
=20
> time.
>=20
> Here on USENET I can't emphasize the capitalized words enough.  For
> starters visualize in BOLD RED typeset.
>=20
> Then again as age slows me down, I have had a need for help to do=20
> certain jobs.  I use subs and they work out well since for them
> to be in their own business they are in, they need a good work ethic.
> I appreciate that and we work very well together.
>=20
> I now, also have a part timer on payroll that I use when the subs
> are not available and when he is free to provide the time.  His
> work ethic is top notch.  When I thanked him one day for having
> such good work ethic, he explained that it was his Dads fault.
> I told him NOT to lose it!!
>=20
> Have a good hump day all.
>=20
> Les

I was going to say that you were lucky to have found someone that works to =
your standards.=20

But --- I guess if I hadn't given up looking I might have found someone als=
o.
Just took too long looking without finding someone.

I happen to have four new constructions jobs going on at the same time righ=
t now. Kind of difficult scheduling around all the other contractors. Worki=
ng from about 8:00 AM till sometimes 10:00 PM so I can weave in and out of =
the other contractors schedules. I wont go into the scopes of the jobs but =
the 3 home jobs have varying degrees of alarm, audio, video, whole house au=
dio, CCTV, and internet wiring. One home has 15 audio glass break detectors=
.  The one commercial job has 20 Internet/telephone ports, Office music sys=
tem, Alarm, TV's and CCTV. all wiring above 16 foot drop ceiling. =20

I went for my physical the other day and the doc asked me if I was getting =
any exercise.