Re: Access Control Project with a Twist

On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 9:14:37 PM UTC-5, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 2/23/2020 7:56 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> > On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 7:52:27 PM UTC-5, Jim Davis wrote:>
> >> Hi Les
> >>
> >> Yeah, You can use this
> >> https://www.amazon.com/3-Pack-Sonoff-Switch-Wireless-Control/dp/B075CC=
9J2W/ref=3Dasc_df_B075CC9J2W/?tag=3Dhyprod-20&linkCode=3Ddf0&hvadid=3D21653=
9147262&hvpos=3D&hvnetw=3Dg&hvrand=3D164658497865770392&hvpone=3D&hvptwo=3D=
&hvqmt=3D&hvdev=3Dc&hvdvcmdl=3D&hvlocint=3D&hvlocphy=3D9004493&hvtargid=3Dp=
la-366187523745&psc=3D1

> >> to control This
> >> https://www.altronix.com/library/pdf/installation_instructions/6062.pd=
> >>
> >> Since the internet relay doesn't have a momentary function, when you a=
ctivate the relay, a change in state trips the altronix relay which you set=
 the timer to open a contact for a specified period of time to deactivate t=
he mag lock.

> >> This might cause some confusion because sometime the internet relay wi=
ll be in the off state and sometime it will be in the on state depending up=
on how the last user left it. But ----- you will have to determine how smar=
t your customer is to explain this to.
> >=20
> > By the way Les, I've never done this before. It's just something I've t=
hought about and searched for. You can investigate it further. You may come=
 up with a better idea
> >=20
>=20
>=20
> Thanks Jim,
>=20
> I can see how that might work one time but then again becomes a
> big question.  I am sure I can jury rig something that would
> maybe do the job.  But I seriously don't want to sell it and
> put my name on it.
>=20
> What I was hoping is that there was a access control system that
> would have this kind of feature built in to a control app.
>=20
> It was mentioned to me today that Alarm.com has a Access Control
> package of some sort that might do it.  Something I need to
> investigate further.
>=20
> BTW I just loaded the app on my phone to take a look.
> Just reading the service agreement and privacy policy
> is a bit.......................  Well let's just say
> I cancelled and deleted the app.  I actually have
> no need for it at this time so what would be the point.
>=20
> I do see the possibilities for experimenting and such.
> But not for this project.
>=20
> Again thanks for the interesting input.
>=20
> Les

Coincidently, I have a customer who has asked me to look into a small acces=
s control system for him also. One with an app.=20

I've made it a policy to not do telephone systems and access control system=
s because, being it's just me doing the installation AND service, I don't f=
eel that I would be able to service these technologies in a timely manner t=
o serve my customers. If these types of systems go down, they require insta=
nt response. I can't provide that.

Anyway, this customer is very tech savvy and if I spec it out and install i=
t he is willing to maintain and service it or live with the fact that I may=
 not be able to respond quickly.=20

I am presently having a conversation with the following company which I fou=
nd doing a Google search. You may find what you are looking for here also

www.openpath.com

Located in California however, which could be a potential problem.