Re: LOL A Real On Topic Question!! Imagine that!!

On 12/14/2020 7:59 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
> Hey guys!!
>
> I have serious question.  I have a customer that has a
> door access keypad mounted on a single gang plastic box
> that it mounted on the side of a steel building next to
> the door.  The keypad is a IEI 212W which is weather rated.
>
> The original keypad was installed 5+ years ago.  Last week
> the customer reported that the code was not always working.
> It took a couple of tries on the keypad to get the code to
> energize the electric strike.
>
> When I got on site all looked good but I noticed that that
> not all keys were reliable.  The decision was made to
> just replace the keypad.  I ordered a new unit, same model,
> and installed two days later.  Programmed and all was good.
>
> When removing the old keypad I noticed some rust on a few
> terminals.  Upon further inspection back at my office
> I noticed some other areas on the circuit board that had
> some spots that may have been moisture related.
>
> First off this keypad was mounted with the supplied foam
> gasket and tight.  The inside of the box was dry.
>
> The only opening to the box is where the wire penetrates
> the back from the inside wall cavity.
>
> The question is how did water get inside the box and on
> the keypad terminals and circuit board??
>
> I am thinking condensation.  If I am right then how to
> fix the problem??
>
> This is where I stop typing and look to read possible
> solutions from the crowd.
>
> Oh and local temperatures range from 20F to 100F +/-
>
> Thanks for any thoughts!!
>
> Les

Dielectric silicone grease.  ADI used to have it in toothpaste tubes
cheaper than anybody.  Alternatively go down to Blows or Home Despot and
buy some silicone faucet grease (expensive for a small amount).  I also
used to drill weep holes in all my outdoor mounted boxes. Positioned so
they were well below any hole through the wall.  Also... this is an
indoor product, but DAP tub and tile caulk (maybe it says seal) (clear)
that comes in the squeeze tube forms an amazing seal between a box and a
building.  It comes out white, but dries clear and is very low
visibility to only minimally offend the customer.

One of the spray on LPS silicons also does an amazing job of
waterproofing, but a)  I don't know how long it lasts, and b) don't
recall which one.  I remember seeing a guy operating a corded brush
motor drill in a fish tank at a trade show when I was a kid.  He would
shake the water out, spray the heck out it through the vents, and then
stick it his hand back in the fish tank to run the drill again.

I used to have the bubble switches wear out in those 212W keypads.
Replaced two on the back door of my old office for that reason.  I
switched to the ruggedized 212 with the buttons and its own box and they
seem to last.  I have one that I used in several locations for temporary
access control when waiting on parts for repairs that is now at the back
door of my shop.  I sealed the face plate and the back surface to the
wall with DAP.  Its been in full time service since 2014 and was used
when I installed it.  Any significant moisture gets in them and they
stop working, but they usually start again when you dry them out.  I
have a couple new ones still on the shelf.

__
Bob
Not an alarm guy... any more.

https://www.avg.com