Re: LOL A Real On Topic Question!! Imagine that!!

On 12/16/2020 9:52 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 12/16/2020 11:14 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> On 12/14/2020 7:59 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
>>> Hey guys!!
>>>
>>> I have serious question.  I have a customer that has a
>>> door access keypad mounted on a single gang plastic box
>>> that it mounted on the side of a steel building next to
>>> the door.  The keypad is a IEI 212W which is weather rated.
>>>
>>> The original keypad was installed 5+ years ago.  Last week
>>> the customer reported that the code was not always working.
>>> It took a couple of tries on the keypad to get the code to
>>> energize the electric strike.
>>>
>>> When I got on site all looked good but I noticed that that
>>> not all keys were reliable.  The decision was made to
>>> just replace the keypad.  I ordered a new unit, same model,
>>> and installed two days later.  Programmed and all was good.
>>>
>>> When removing the old keypad I noticed some rust on a few
>>> terminals.  Upon further inspection back at my office
>>> I noticed some other areas on the circuit board that had
>>> some spots that may have been moisture related.
>>>
>>> First off this keypad was mounted with the supplied foam
>>> gasket and tight.  The inside of the box was dry.
>>>
>>> The only opening to the box is where the wire penetrates
>>> the back from the inside wall cavity.
>>>
>>> The question is how did water get inside the box and on
>>> the keypad terminals and circuit board??
>>>
>>> I am thinking condensation.  If I am right then how to
>>> fix the problem??
>>>
>>> This is where I stop typing and look to read possible
>>> solutions from the crowd.
>>>
>>> Oh and local temperatures range from 20F to 100F +/-
>>>
>>> Thanks for any thoughts!!
>>>
>>> Les
>>>

>> Dielectric silicone grease.  ADI used to have it in toothpaste tubes
>> cheaper than anybody.  Alternatively go down to Blows or Home Despot
>> and buy some silicone faucet grease (expensive for a small amount).  I
>> also used to drill weep holes in all my outdoor mounted boxes.
>> Positioned so they were well below any hole through the wall.  Also...
>> this is an indoor product, but DAP tub and tile caulk (maybe it says
>> seal) (clear) that comes in the squeeze tube forms an amazing seal
>> between a box and a building.  It comes out white, but dries clear and
>> is very low visibility to only minimally offend the customer.
>>
>> One of the spray on LPS silicons also does an amazing job of
>> waterproofing, but a)  I don't know how long it lasts, and b) don't
>> recall which one.  I remember seeing a guy operating a corded brush
>> motor drill in a fish tank at a trade show when I was a kid.  He would
>> shake the water out, spray the heck out it through the vents, and then
>> stick it his hand back in the fish tank to run the drill again.
>>
>> I used to have the bubble switches wear out in those 212W keypads.
>> Replaced two on the back door of my old office for that reason.  I
>> switched to the ruggedized 212 with the buttons and its own box and
>> they seem to last.  I have one that I used in several locations for
> [...]

As long as the hole is small enough to keep the lizards out I am good.

Aside:  Back when I worked for Arizona Telephone (bought out later by
TDS Telecom I think) we lost a T carrier system.  It was full, so 24
customers were out of service.  When we got out to the remote
communications hut and started looking we found a lizard fried across
the encoder card.

P.S.  Even if you drill a weep hole you still need to coat the
electronic connections with dieletric grease in a humid environment.

Bob
--
Not an alarm guy... Anymore.

https://www.avg.com