Re: LOL A Real On Topic Question!! Imagine that!!

On 12/16/2020 11:14 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 12/14/2020 7:59 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
>> Hey guys!!
>>
>> I have serious question.  I have a customer that has a
>> door access keypad mounted on a single gang plastic box
>> that it mounted on the side of a steel building next to
>> the door.  The keypad is a IEI 212W which is weather rated.
>>
>> The original keypad was installed 5+ years ago.  Last week
>> the customer reported that the code was not always working.
>> It took a couple of tries on the keypad to get the code to
>> energize the electric strike.
>>
>> When I got on site all looked good but I noticed that that
>> not all keys were reliable.  The decision was made to
>> just replace the keypad.  I ordered a new unit, same model,
>> and installed two days later.  Programmed and all was good.
>>
>> When removing the old keypad I noticed some rust on a few
>> terminals.  Upon further inspection back at my office
>> I noticed some other areas on the circuit board that had
>> some spots that may have been moisture related.
>>
>> First off this keypad was mounted with the supplied foam
>> gasket and tight.  The inside of the box was dry.
>>
>> The only opening to the box is where the wire penetrates
>> the back from the inside wall cavity.
>>
>> The question is how did water get inside the box and on
>> the keypad terminals and circuit board??
>>
>> I am thinking condensation.  If I am right then how to
>> fix the problem??
>>
>> This is where I stop typing and look to read possible
>> solutions from the crowd.
>>
>> Oh and local temperatures range from 20F to 100F +/-
>>
>> Thanks for any thoughts!!
>>
>> Les
>>

> Dielectric silicone grease.  ADI used to have it in toothpaste tubes
> cheaper than anybody.  Alternatively go down to Blows or Home Despot and
> buy some silicone faucet grease (expensive for a small amount).  I also
> used to drill weep holes in all my outdoor mounted boxes. Positioned so
> they were well below any hole through the wall.  Also... this is an
> indoor product, but DAP tub and tile caulk (maybe it says seal) (clear)
> that comes in the squeeze tube forms an amazing seal between a box and a
> building.  It comes out white, but dries clear and is very low
> visibility to only minimally offend the customer.
>
> One of the spray on LPS silicons also does an amazing job of
> waterproofing, but a)  I don't know how long it lasts, and b) don't
> recall which one.  I remember seeing a guy operating a corded brush
> motor drill in a fish tank at a trade show when I was a kid.  He would
> shake the water out, spray the heck out it through the vents, and then
> stick it his hand back in the fish tank to run the drill again.
>
> I used to have the bubble switches wear out in those 212W keypads.
> Replaced two on the back door of my old office for that reason.  I
> switched to the ruggedized 212 with the buttons and its own box and they
> seem to last.  I have one that I used in several locations for temporary
> [...]

Thanks Bob,
At this point the Maintenance Guy on staff at the site is going to
perform his own magic on the keypad.  Some with my hints.

I thought of putting a weep hole in as well.
But then you get the other downsides of:
a) Bugs making nest  (Hole to big)
b) Icicles blocking hole (Hole to small)
c) Don't know but there always has to be a "C"

Have a good holiday!!

Les