Re: LOL A Real On Topic Question!! Imagine that!!

On 12/15/2020 11:16 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 12/14/2020 10:20 PM, RTS wrote:
>> On 12/14/2020 8:59 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
>>> Hey guys!!
>>>
>>> I have serious question.  I have a customer that has a
>>> door access keypad mounted on a single gang plastic box
>>> that it mounted on the side of a steel building next to
>>> the door.  The keypad is a IEI 212W which is weather rated.
>>>
>>> The original keypad was installed 5+ years ago.  Last week
>>> the customer reported that the code was not always working.
>>> It took a couple of tries on the keypad to get the code to
>>> energize the electric strike.
>>>
>>> When I got on site all looked good but I noticed that that
>>> not all keys were reliable.  The decision was made to
>>> just replace the keypad.  I ordered a new unit, same model,
>>> and installed two days later.  Programmed and all was good.
>>>
>>> When removing the old keypad I noticed some rust on a few
>>> terminals.  Upon further inspection back at my office
>>> I noticed some other areas on the circuit board that had
>>> some spots that may have been moisture related.
>>>
>>> First off this keypad was mounted with the supplied foam
>>> gasket and tight.  The inside of the box was dry.
>>>
>>> The only opening to the box is where the wire penetrates
>>> the back from the inside wall cavity.
>>>
>>> The question is how did water get inside the box and on
>>> the keypad terminals and circuit board??
>>>
>>> I am thinking condensation.  If I am right then how to
>>> fix the problem??
>>>
>>> This is where I stop typing and look to read possible
>>> solutions from the crowd.
>>>
>>> Oh and local temperatures range from 20F to 100F +/-
>>>
>>> Thanks for any thoughts!!
>>>
>>> Les
>>>

>>    think your right about the condensation,  have had that problem
>> many times around here..
>> seal the wire hole as best you can to avoid the inside/outside
>> air mixing..
>> Then my favorite trick is place a few of those desiccant packages
>> in the cavity..
>> In really damp places I've done the ole Blue Grass Electronic
>> trick and cover the electronic board with candle wax..
>>

> Thanks Rocky,
> I like the candle wax thought.  Although I have read somewhere that
> certain waxes have bad effects on circuit boards.
>
> The desiccant packs would be a help as well.  But, they can only
> catch so much moisture.  Although you never see it unless you
> you the ones that turn blue.
>
> What are your thoughts on a small resistive type heater in the box to
> keep it warm so that the humidity will not condense.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Les

   Heard of that being tried.
It seems "lady bugs"  like those warm spaces,
Don't ask me how,  but those little things
can get into some really tight spots..

I opened a satellite control box
(hanging under the dish) one time
and it was packed full solid with them..
(and it was a nema box)

also don't want it too warm,
those Capacitors don't like heat..
--