Re: Circuitously Related

On 8/1/2020 11:36 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 8/1/2020 12:42 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> I've been lusting after a mag drill for a while.  I don't really want
>> a cheap one, because I know once I have one other work for it will
>> materialize. I don't really want to buy an expensive one, because
>> honestly the only current use I have for one is making an array of 5/8
>> inch clamping & positioning dog holes on my welding table.
>>
>> I admit to being a little cheap, but if I truly had an ongoing use for
>> a mag drill that I could see right now I would own one.
>>
>> Now what I do have is a bunch of quality corded drills left over from
>> being a contractor.  Some have not been out of the case in several
>> years.  Heck I have a Milwaukee 1" spline drive rotary hammer with
>> enough torque to throw a careless man off a ladder that probably has
>> not been out of the case in more than 5 years for example.  Anyway, I
>> have several Milwaukee drills and a couple Makitas.  Stuff that will
>> push a 3" Forstner bit through a triple header in no time at all
>> shearing off nails on the way.
>>
>> Now I like to make things.  I've watched more than a few make
>> something out of nothing videos on YouTube.  I'm smart enough to know
>> that its not as easy as the video makes it seem, but I'm also smart
>> enough to figure out how to do those things myself.  MAYBE.
>>
>> One of the most common DIY sources of strong mag drill bases are epoxy
>> filled boxes using microwave oven transformers.  Then all the other
>> hardware is cobbled onto it.  I actually have one complete microwave
>> oven on my junk pile with a suitable transformer.  I saved it to make
>> a spot welder using the transformer.  Really though I need a minimum
>> of two magnets I think for stability.
>>
>> I've spent a bit of time letting ideas percolate in the back of my
>> head on this.  Its not high priority, but it is something I need to
>> add to my tool box (figuratively speaking) sooner or later.
>>
>> Then the other day while I was watching yet another DIY/Homemade mag
>> drill video on YouTube while sipping my morning coffee and debating
>> whether I wanted to work on custom injection molds or continue
>> development on an "invention" I am working on for the morning.  I
>> watched the videographer build the usual suspect of assemblies, and
>> then for the magnets he didn't use microwave oven transformers.  He
>> used what looked like a pair of 300lb mag lock magnets.
>>
>> DOH!
>>
>> I still have some mag locks on the shelf.  I think they are
>> mismatched, but its a start.  I don't think I ever owned any light
>> weight 300s, but I still think a matched pair would be ideal...   I do
>> not think I have a pair the same.  Sigh.  Still its a simple expedient
>> solution I've had on the shelf and not thought of all this time.
>>

> Hi Bob,
>
> At first I thought you were posting to the wrong group.
> It wasn't until the end that I figure out where all your typing was
> going. LOL  Now I get it.  Yes, a couple of MagLocks would do the
> [...]

My worst one (the reason I own the 1" spline drive rotary hammer) was a
vertical through a floor in an old post office building.  Almost 3 feet
of structural concrete that was well aged.  (Built around 1920 I think.)
We found a smaller 3/8 or 1/2 (I forget) that was long enough to drill
all the way through, (just barely) with the Makita SDS+ drive, but
nothing big enough for SDS so we went to the 1" spline drive and punched
1-1/2" holes.  We would use the SDS to punch a pilot all the way
through, then drill from both sides with the spline drive to make the
holes big enough for our wire bundles.  Took 3 days to make 4 holes.

I remember that job very well.  F-ing electrician stole all my conduit.