Re: Circuitously Related

On 8/1/2020 3:47 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 8/1/2020 11:36 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
>> On 8/1/2020 12:42 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>>> I've been lusting after a mag drill for a while.  I don't really want
>>> a cheap one, because I know once I have one other work for it will
>>> materialize. I don't really want to buy an expensive one, because
>>> honestly the only current use I have for one is making an array of
>>> 5/8 inch clamping & positioning dog holes on my welding table.
>>>
>>> I admit to being a little cheap, but if I truly had an ongoing use
>>> for a mag drill that I could see right now I would own one.
>>>
>>> Now what I do have is a bunch of quality corded drills left over from
>>> being a contractor.  Some have not been out of the case in several
>>> years.  Heck I have a Milwaukee 1" spline drive rotary hammer with
>>> enough torque to throw a careless man off a ladder that probably has
>>> not been out of the case in more than 5 years for example.  Anyway, I
>>> have several Milwaukee drills and a couple Makitas.  Stuff that will
>>> push a 3" Forstner bit through a triple header in no time at all
>>> shearing off nails on the way.
>>>
>>> Now I like to make things.  I've watched more than a few make
>>> something out of nothing videos on YouTube.  I'm smart enough to know
>>> that its not as easy as the video makes it seem, but I'm also smart
>>> enough to figure out how to do those things myself.  MAYBE.
>>>
>>> One of the most common DIY sources of strong mag drill bases are
>>> epoxy filled boxes using microwave oven transformers.  Then all the
>>> other hardware is cobbled onto it.  I actually have one complete
>>> microwave oven on my junk pile with a suitable transformer.  I saved
>>> it to make a spot welder using the transformer.  Really though I need
>>> a minimum of two magnets I think for stability.
>>>
>>> I've spent a bit of time letting ideas percolate in the back of my
>>> head on this.  Its not high priority, but it is something I need to
>>> add to my tool box (figuratively speaking) sooner or later.
>>>
>>> Then the other day while I was watching yet another DIY/Homemade mag
>>> drill video on YouTube while sipping my morning coffee and debating
>>> whether I wanted to work on custom injection molds or continue
>>> development on an "invention" I am working on for the morning.  I
>>> watched the videographer build the usual suspect of assemblies, and
>>> then for the magnets he didn't use microwave oven transformers.  He
>>> used what looked like a pair of 300lb mag lock magnets.
>>>
>>> DOH!
>>>
>>> I still have some mag locks on the shelf.  I think they are
>>> mismatched, but its a start.  I don't think I ever owned any light
>>> weight 300s, but I still think a matched pair would be ideal...   I
>>> do not think I have a pair the same.  Sigh.  Still its a simple
>>> expedient solution I've had on the shelf and not thought of all this
>>> time.
>>>

>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> At first I thought you were posting to the wrong group.
>> It wasn't until the end that I figure out where all your typing was
> [...]

Shoot the electrician!!!  Not that bad here.  Had a electrician use my
holes for his romex runs in a new construction job a number of years
back.  Said my piece with the GC.  Electrician pulled and re-ran his
wires.  The sad part was that I had a couple of Low Voltage wires
already in those holes.  Fortunately there were no wire burns on the
sheath.   It really is sad when you think about the extra work that
is needed to get the the job done right!!