Circuitously Related

I've been lusting after a mag drill for a while.  I don't really want a
cheap one, because I know once I have one other work for it will
materialize. I don't really want to buy an expensive one, because
honestly the only current use I have for one is making an array of 5/8
inch clamping & positioning dog holes on my welding table.

I admit to being a little cheap, but if I truly had an ongoing use for a
mag drill that I could see right now I would own one.

Now what I do have is a bunch of quality corded drills left over from
being a contractor.  Some have not been out of the case in several
years.  Heck I have a Milwaukee 1" spline drive rotary hammer with
enough torque to throw a careless man off a ladder that probably has not
been out of the case in more than 5 years for example.  Anyway, I have
several Milwaukee drills and a couple Makitas.  Stuff that will push a
3" Forstner bit through a triple header in no time at all shearing off
nails on the way.

Now I like to make things.  I've watched more than a few make something
out of nothing videos on YouTube.  I'm smart enough to know that its not
as easy as the video makes it seem, but I'm also smart enough to figure
out how to do those things myself.  MAYBE.

One of the most common DIY sources of strong mag drill bases are epoxy
filled boxes using microwave oven transformers.  Then all the other
hardware is cobbled onto it.  I actually have one complete microwave
oven on my junk pile with a suitable transformer.  I saved it to make a
spot welder using the transformer.  Really though I need a minimum of
two magnets I think for stability.

I've spent a bit of time letting ideas percolate in the back of my head
on this.  Its not high priority, but it is something I need to add to my
tool box (figuratively speaking) sooner or later.

Then the other day while I was watching yet another DIY/Homemade mag
drill video on YouTube while sipping my morning coffee and debating
whether I wanted to work on custom injection molds or continue
development on an "invention" I am working on for the morning.  I
watched the videographer build the usual suspect of assemblies, and then
for the magnets he didn't use microwave oven transformers.  He used what
looked like a pair of 300lb mag lock magnets.

DOH!

I still have some mag locks on the shelf.  I think they are mismatched,
but its a start.  I don't think I ever owned any light weight 300s, but
I still think a matched pair would be ideal...   I do not think I have a
pair the same.  Sigh.  Still its a simple expedient solution I've had on
the shelf and not thought of all this time.