Re: A few to make you laugh

On 4/27/2020 7:19 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 7:56:40 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
>>
>> You know I grew up where we still had free range cattle, I killed three
>> rattle snakes inside my mom's kitchen before I found the hole they were
>> coming in, and my first job out of high school was maintaining drip
>> irrigation where the city slicker who owned the place wouldn't let us
>> kill rattlers we found sleeping under a leaking pressure cap.  We had to
>> scoop them up with a shovel and fling them over the fence.  All that and
>> I never set a tortoise on a post, and I never tipped a cow.  Those sound
>> more like dude tricks.
>
> I had an uncle who was born and raised here in NY. They decided that they wanted to move to Tucson for some reason. We went out to visit them back in the 80's and while we were there I noticed a .22 ga revolver sitting in the corner on the kitchen counter. I asked my uncle what that was for and he said that he never went out in the yard without it. City slicker that I am, I had to ask he why. He told me when they first moved there one day he went out to get the mail when a rattler slithered out of the mail box. The same day he went to town and bought the gun and from that day on carried it with him whenever he went out. I know something about guns and I don't think there's too many people who could hit a rattler on the move with a .22. But I guess it made him feel better to have it with him.

.410 at close range cuts their head right off.  Shovel is cheaper and
works as well, but not as much fun.  Don't think I ever shot one with a
.22.  If you got one coming after you aggressively its way to late, and
its probably your own damned fault for screwing with them.  That being
said a snake that's blind while its shedding will strike at anything
that moves.

I knew a few people who got bit by rattlers over the years.  Every
single one, but one got nailed because they were drunk and screwing with
the snake.  The exception was a railroad man who got nailed twice ...
and was allergic to rabbit serum.  First time he reached into a switch
box without looking.  Second time a few years later he had his gun
leaning against a switch box when he spotted a snake.  when he reached
for his gun to kill the snake he found there was a second had crawled
out next to the butt of his rifle.  Yep.  Still allergic to rabbit
serum, and somebody had eaten the goat. Atleast that's the way he told
it.  We visited him in the hospital the second time.  He never came back
to work.