Re: 3G radios/CDMA sunset

On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 12:11:41 AM UTC-5, Hogan wrote:
> Well, I did a little studying and research, as I had figured that there w=
as a lot of smoke/mirrors involved as well as hype in regards to the coming=
 5G.
>=20
> 1. Yes, 3G is going away and Verizon's date is end of December, 2022; whi=
le ATT's date appears to be early 2022. Now this is only for existing radio=
s already online, not new radios.

Not sure what you mean by this it's going away for ALL radios period, depen=
ding on the provider you may or may not be able to register any 3G radios

For example Alarm.com shut off 3G activations June 30's and will end servic=
e until February 2022, New CDMA radios can still be registered for now=20

Canada and Puerto Rico are exempt and they have no sunset date at this time

> 2. There are billions of dollars involved here for the selling of the new=
 technology hardware, and there is also of lot of false end dates perpetrat=
ed in order to sell, sell, sell new hardware.

By who? the carriers have been pretty up front about it

> 3. 5G will arrive to the masses someday, but not as fast as it has been p=
ortrayed by persons who are in the business of selling.

> 4. Verizon is the only carrier that actually has 5G deployed and that is =
in -2- cities in the US. Yes, 2 whole cities, and only in certain areas of =
those cities.

That's because it has much shorter range and spotty coverage and the few ph=
ones that have it often overheat when using it, the technology at least on =
our side isn't quite mature yet
>=20
> 5. 4G LTE phones will not work on 5G. 5G phones are to be backward compat=
ible since it is going to take a lot of time (as in many years) and money t=
o completely switch to 5G. So, for those who think that they are insured by=
 going to LTE, are mistaken.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for 5G on security systems
=20
> 6. 2G is still existing for specific devices and uses, so 3G in some form=
 will still be in use also past "the date", again for specific devices.

Not sure how, maybe if they are T-Mobile and they are killing it next year

> 7. There is a new company who has spent a lot of money developing a devic=
e that plugs into an outlet, which converts the 3G signals of the premise r=
adio into 4G signals out to the 'Expanse'. A converter! Not a well known fa=
ct as there is a lot less money involved for the 'End of the 3G World' pedd=
ler folks. And yes, it is made for alarm panels. The technology is 3G to 4G=
 conversion. It is kind of like taking AM radio signals and just converting=
 them to FM. Now everyone knows that AM to FM conversion is not rocket scie=
nce. Well neither is 3G to 4G. There is just a lot of licensing and fees an=
d time involved. A company called Cellbounce at cellbounce.com is doing jus=
t that. Rather than give you more facts, just go there and read it for your=
self.

Website doesn't give anything specific, will be interesting to see what the=
y offer

> 8. Alula is claiming that their newest radios will be able to 'evolve' wi=
thout having to buy some newer technology at a yet further date in the futu=
re. That is what I was told in a telephone conversation with someone very h=
igh up in the company. That will need much further evaluation and investiga=
ting.

I think someone told you wrong, you just can't convert a 3G unit into LTE, =
it looks like their "Sunset Proof" communicators do it by WiFi and Ethernet

> The moral of the story is this, I am not jumping on any bandwagon quickly=
, so that I can rationally assess all of the available options based on rea=
l technical information, devoid of sales' lines and tactics.

For cellular you only have 1 solution and that is LTE, you have no choice u=
nless you go broadband
=20
> Shoot, I had chosen CDMA radios some years ago, as I mistakenly assumed t=
hat CDMA-Code Division Multiple Access, would be impervious to end-of-life =
obsoletion.=20

Yea I know that feeling :(