Re: UTC’s Interlogix division to close down by end of 2019

On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 9:49:18 PM UTC-4, mleuck wrote:
> On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 7:25:04 PM UTC-5, Jim Davis wrote:
> > On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 12:59:25 PM UTC-4, Hogan wrote:
> > > Has anyone seen this,
> > >=20
> > >    "UTC=E2=80=99s Interlogix division, makers of a variety of residen=
tial and commercial security product lines, has notified its employees and =
dealers that it has begun the process of =E2=80=9Cwinding down=E2=80=9D bus=
iness in the United States and Canada, and will no longer manufacture new p=
roducts by the end of 2019."
> > >=20
> > > Hogan
> >=20
> > Surprise Surprise!
> >=20
> > I don't get it. What's the purpose?=20
> >=20
> > Is it that these large companies just  buy up smaller companies, suck t=
he life out of them and discard them ? I mean it's not that Interlogix had =
any great secrets or something that would benefit UTC to the amount of $1.8=
2 BILLION !!!
> >=20
> > Amazing!
>=20
> Doesn't have anything to do with big companies buying smaller companies, =
it has to do with not staying competitive which was happening long before U=
TC came into the picture. 2GIG, Qolsys and Alarm.com pretty much did them i=
n not UTC
>=20
> I'm surprised they didn't try selling them off to someone else, they stil=
l sold a lot of equipment, the Concord NX series were excellent panels

It's pretty frickin hard to believe that UTC didn't have the wherewithal/ca=
pability/foresight/experience, to see the handwriting on the wall before th=
ey spent almost $2 BILLION for it.

On the other hand, I guess it's one hell of a tax write-off right before th=
e end of the year.