Re: Old Brinks equipment

On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 10:23:43 PM UTC-5, nap...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>=20
> Yes, Monitronics did use a vista panel with a chip that locks you out of =
being able to program the central station number. That was their way of kee=
ping it only to themselves, and perhaps they will still keep on that route.=
..my best guess.

No that wasn't the reason, the REAL reason was to standardize programming, =
something not easy to do when you have hundreds of installers, did the same=
 thing with Lynx, Interlogix Simon and Concord
=20
> Their problem is that it is actually an infantile solution to try to secu=
re their monopoly.=20

Not really, it worked as designed, and the boards were unlocked when reques=
ted

Not a monopoly at all when someone can replace the chip for next to nothing

>    "The chip is the door to the central station telephone number that is =
stored on the mainboard."

No it's on in the processor
=20
> So picture it, and you will see that if you change out their door with a =
brand new door to the room that has the central station number, you will su=
ddenly have access to it. After you change the central station number in th=
e room, just put the old door back in so that you are not out the cost of a=
 new door. Though, those new doors can be bought on the open market anyway.

Amazing isn't it?
=20
> If you remember that most brands of boards actually store the information=
 that is inputted onto the mainboard, and not on the chip itself, then you =
will begin to see a fatal flaw with most systems.=20

It's in the processor or a rom chip
=20
> The same thing can be done to Concord, Concord Express, etc.
>=20
> I decided a while ago to freely give it out to anyone who needs it. It is=
 not that any customers will be lost because of it, since customers more or=
 less stay because of the quality of their systems and the service of the c=
ompany that they are with.

Good for you
=20
> So now, your ton of vista panels can now be used or sold. It's up to you.=
 Enjoy your new found treasure.
>=20
> As to actually wanting those Monitronics boards, they are not really appe=
aling since we would need to change out the chip anyway for modern day comm=
unicators.=20

That's not true at all