Re: 3G radios/CDMA sunset

Well, I did a little studying and research, as I had figured that there was=
 a lot of smoke/mirrors involved as well as hype in regards to the coming 5=
G.

1. Yes, 3G is going away and Verizon's date is end of December, 2022; while=
 ATT's date appears to be early 2022. Now this is only for existing radios =
already online, not new radios.

2. There are billions of dollars involved here for the selling of the new t=
echnology hardware, and there is also of lot of false end dates perpetrated=
 in order to sell, sell, sell new hardware.

3. 5G will arrive to the masses someday, but not as fast as it has been por=
trayed by persons who are in the business of selling.

4. Verizon is the only carrier that actually has 5G deployed and that is in=
 -2- cities in the US. Yes, 2 whole cities, and only in certain areas of th=
ose cities.

5. 4G LTE phones will not work on 5G. 5G phones are to be backward compatib=
le since it is going to take a lot of time (as in many years) and money to =
completely switch to 5G. So, for those who think that they are insured by g=
oing to LTE, are mistaken.

6. 2G is still existing for specific devices and uses, so 3G in some form w=
ill still be in use also past "the date", again for specific devices.

7. There is a new company who has spent a lot of money developing a device =
that plugs into an outlet, which converts the 3G signals of the premise rad=
io into 4G signals out to the 'Expanse'. A converter! Not a well known fact=
 as there is a lot less money involved for the 'End of the 3G World' peddle=
r folks. And yes, it is made for alarm panels. The technology is 3G to 4G c=
onversion. It is kind of like taking AM radio signals and just converting t=
hem to FM. Now everyone knows that AM to FM conversion is not rocket scienc=
e. Well neither is 3G to 4G. There is just a lot of licensing and fees and =
time involved. A company called Cellbounce at cellbounce.com is doing just =
that. Rather than give you more facts, just go there and read it for yourse=
lf.

The founder is Mike Lamb who came up with Street Smart. He made 175 Wireles=
s products for Honeywell in Security and HVAC; Founder of Secure Wireless a=
nd Advanced Bridging Technologies. Designed over 250 wireless products for =
DSC/Tyco, GE, UTC, 2GIG, Nortek, Vivint. Founded Ecolink and designed produ=
cts for Comcast, RING, Pella, and has 27 Patents.

I'd say he probably knows what he is doing...

8. Alula is claiming that their newest radios will be able to 'evolve' with=
out having to buy some newer technology at a yet further date in the future=
. That is what I was told in a telephone conversation with someone very hig=
h up in the company. That will need much further evaluation and investigati=
ng.

The moral of the story is this, I am not jumping on any bandwagon quickly, =
so that I can rationally assess all of the available options based on real =
technical information, devoid of sales' lines and tactics.

Shoot, I had chosen CDMA radios some years ago, as I mistakenly assumed tha=
t CDMA-Code Division Multiple Access, would be impervious to end-of-life ob=
soletion.=20

Anyone have any further information or available solutions?