Re: Corrosion caused by batteries.

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 12:27:41 AM UTC-5, cha...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I am getting fed up with the corrosion at the negative or positive
> terminals of Duracell AA and AAA batteries that come preinstalled
> (from the manufacturer/distributor) in wireless motion detectors and
> door/window contacts, as well as corrosion within the devices after a
> year or two on the job site, all residential.
>=20
> Are there any tricks to prevent corrosion? Vaseline, jells, etc? Does
> anyone have a clue as to the root cause of corrosion? I know that
> water/high moisture is a prime catalyst especially on door switches
> that are near the bottom of an exterior door. Does the passage of
> voltage from the battery to the battery holder have an effect, and if
> so, how? It's also obvious (duhhh)that if the battery(s) are absent
> from the battery holder compartment there is never any corrosion in
> the holder.
>=20
> Charlie

I don't have that problem but as a (salt water)  boat owner for many years,=
 I have successfully used Vaseline and conducting Silicone grease on electr=
ical connections. The Vaseline was used on boat battery terminals and the s=
ilicone was used on smaller electrical connections. Both very messy to work=
 with but did the job.
The only place I could get the Silicone grease in my area was at an automot=
ive parts store. Comes in small squeeze tubes. Just need to smear a coating=
 on connections with just a little excess.=20

I got the idea about the Silicon from observing that the TV cable guys woul=
d use it under their rubber connection boots that they would cover their ou=
tdoor connections with.