Re: Why Makers & Builders

On 4/28/2019 10:08 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> I didn't originally plan to post this here on ASA, but ASAers did
> contribute a lot to my path.
>
> Why Maker's and Builders?
>
> Back in the mid 90s atleast partly with help from the Usenet group
> news:rec.crafts.metalworking I made my first "punch" and "die." I needed
> to install some photo beams at a port of entry for a pedestrian counter.
> I designed the "system" using a variety of parts and components, but I
> was concerned about the photo beams themselves. They had something like
> a 5 year warranty, but the lenses were polycarbonate. Each set of beams
> had to be placed in a walkway between counters. My concern was that
> people brushing by would quickly wear the lens as clothing, bags, and
> misc items brushed against the sides of the walkway. I didn't want to be
> that guy who everybody there got to know because I was always there
> fixing it. I had the idea to recess the emitter and sensor so that only
> the most aggressive brushing up against might contact the surfaces. I
> looked all over, but nobody made a recessed electrical plate that I
> thought would work. I took a piece of hot rolled (didn't even know what
> it was called at the time) and cut one pieces with a rectangular hole in
> it to mate with the back of an aluminum electrical blank plate. I
> chamfered the edges by hand with a grinder so it was a decent fit. Then
> I cut a small piece to mate with it about plate thickness smaller all
> the way around and hand chamfered it as well. Then I just mashed a cover
> plate between them with my hydraulic press. (had it for automotive work,
> not machine work) It looked amazingly good. I doubt the guys at GSA ever
> noticed that was a custom piece.  As a new (mostly black box) system it
> had its development issues, but lens wear of the emitter and sensor was
> not one of them. It was in use for years until they went to a new system
> with some big contractor at all the ports.
>
> That was definitely metal working. I doubt it was really machining
> though except in the crudest sense. I take that sort of approach to a
> lot of what I do. I don't have a stick up my butt about being a
> "machinist" "welder" "fabricator" "mechanic". In fact my knowledge is
> lacking really in all of those areas even though now I make my living as
> a niche market mold maker. I can weld. If its important to look pretty I
> do some practice welds and then do the real weld after I've taken a
> break and I am fresh. If it just has to stick I burn it together and
> clean it up with a grinder. I know less about welding than almost
> anybody else in any metalworking group, but oddly enough I have five
> electric welders and an OA rig and I have welded parts still in use
> today with all but one of them. (Just got a new AC/DC pulse TIG a couple
> days ago.) Fabricator is a tough term to define, but I've built and
> converted trailers a welding table wood storage rack and various other
> things to fit needs.A lot of welding there, but various other
> [...]

Hi Bob,

Nice resume' it sums you up good.
You might call yourself a "Maker & Builder" that fits.
You are also a doer.  So many people are just bumps on logs
and can't think for themselves.  You don't have to make a Million
Dollars a minute to know you have accomplished so much more than all
the others in just a few minutes.

You and I as well as the other regulars here in ASA must have that same
bit of gene that makes us the way we are.

I for one say that:
"I am the guy that puts 'stuff' together and makes it work"

You like a challenge are motivated to find a solution to that challenge.

I like doing "one of a kind" custom systems.  When it comes to needing
brackets or mountings that can't be found off the shelf.  I will draw up
what I need in my CAD and take it to a friend that has the materials and
welder to put it together.  Had to make a hang over the roof camera
mount a while back to get the right angle.  Cool stuff!!

As for your Facebook page.  Sorry, I won't be going there.  I am NOT
a Facebook person.  It is just not something I want to do.  If it works
for you, great!!  Maybe I am just too old fashioned or something.
Or just plain O-L-D!!!   :-)

Have a good week.

Les