Re: Heard From An Old ASAer Today

On 10/26/2018 12:49 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 10/26/2018 1:05 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> "ABLE1"  wrote in message news:WoHAD.967759$RN2.568408@xxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> On 10/26/2018 11:59 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>>>

>>> "Bob La Londe"  wrote in message news:pqvdhb$19h2$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> Off Topic....................... Really?? I hadn't noticed.
>>> Bob it 2018 USENET.......... Nothing is Off Topic anymore.  LOL  :-)
>>>
>>> *************************
>>>
>>> You've been hanging out in RCM a little bit to much I think.  Gotta
>>> love me
>>> that 'K' key.
>>>

>>> *************************
>>>
>>> P.S.  Saw your pinhole post.  Don't have much else to add.  My
>>> experience with such is the same as others.  Once it starts to go its
>>> pretty much done.
>>
>> Thanks!!
>> Yes, but my friend (customer) has too much money and far too much time
>> and likes to tinker in order to save money.  LOL.
>>
>> To which I had to explain to him about a "Tinkers Dam" and how
>> it might be used to fix his hole.  Which now has created a
>> whole other Off Topic thingie.........................
>>
>> I was think about suggesting to him to try a sheet metal screw
>> with an amount of PC-7 Epoxy.  Can't be any worse than other
>> suggested fixes.
>>
>> ***************************
>>
>> Most epoxies soften and degraded to much with heat.  Maybe the water
>> will keep it within its safe zone, but a teflon gasket inside the pot
>> under the screw head might do the trick.  There it will be surrounded
>> by water and should never get above its degradation temperature.  I
>> have some 1/4" teflon rod if you want a small piece to play with.  I
>> use it as hot casting cores when stainless creates bad castings by
>> wicking away heat to fast.
>>

> Bob,
>
> I had used PC-7 years ago to repair a 5hp Briggs engine that the
> connecting rod broke and in turn cracked the case.  After disassembly
> I replaced the rod, etc. and then on the inside of the case I used
> PC-7 to repair the crack in the case.  Held up quite well for a couple
> of years for a leaf catcher until I got a different mower.  The
> blower/engine is still in my shop, ready to go..........someday.
>
> Thanks for the teflon offer.  But I think I can source some locally.
> I am thinking that a short #8 or #10 stainless Sheet Metal screw with
> a teflon 1/8" washer would do the trick on the pot.  Just round off
> the point with a grinder and done.
>
> Les

Cool, if you change your mind just email me your address.  I can drill
and slice a few washers off if you like. I have one of my small lathes
setup with a 3C collet chuck just for working softer materials like
teflon rod.  I might have some 5/16 too.  I'd have to go look.

Well, actually I mostly use it for rounding the ends of stainless dowel
pins, but I originally set it up for working with softer materials like
teflon rod.