Re: 5834-4 key fobs intermittently stop working with 5881-ENH receiver connected to Vista 20p

On 11/4/2018 2:05 PM, Roger Horwitz wrote:
> On Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 9:30:36 PM UTC-7, HOGAN wrote:
>> Well, by the description in your above story, you appear to be a homeowner or a not very experienced technician since you "successfully" programmed the remotes.
>>
>> All that aside, you also mention that the unit is in the closet next to the panel box. You failed to mention if the house is multi-story, or if this closet is in the basement, or that perhaps there is structural materials that could be interfering with the transmission of the fobs, like a refrigerator, water heater, concrete or the like. Those fobs you bought, do not have the power of a microwave.
>>
>> There is not enough information available to come to any conclusion to your dilemma.
>>
>> The ideal location for the receiver is the highest spot in your house, away from any steel, aluminum, or any material dense in its atomic structure- fobs will not work in an X-ray room since it is shielded with lead. If you do not have any available location near the panel box that is free of "interference materials", then perhaps find a location close to any of your keypads, to install the receiver. The receiver uses the key-bus wiring anyway and that is what keypad wiring uses. Perhaps you have a keypad that is on a wall adjacent to a closet where you could relocate the receiver. It is not rocket science, fobs just need no interference with other conflicting wireless, and they don't work thru dense materials like steel, lead, aluminum, etc.
>>
>> I have used a lot of wireless from different manufacturers, and it is rare for Honeywell keyfobs to not work properly.... except in the case of wireless interference--in that aspect they do come to the top.
>>
>> Since you took the long and expensive route to keyfobs, you should investigate using the after-market fobs that work on many different systems- those should have topped out at less that $50 for the receiver and 2 fobs... and they also comes with a button on the remotes that activates a small light beam... way ahead of Honeywell.
>>
>> The light blinking on the fobs is there only to tell you that it sent 'the "WIRELESS BEAM" out into the wonderful expanse of the ether. It does not mean that it communicated with the receiver.
>>
>> If you can stand by the receiver and use the remotes, and the system consistently arms and disarms, then it is either interference by dense materials or interference from other wireless sources.
>>
>> It is best to hold the remote firmly with the left hand, and using the finger of the right hand to activate the remote. Make sure that you stand flat-footed first. Soothing music in the background is also encouraged... no hard-rock.
>>
>> ...A little laughter helps on any day.
>>
>> Hogan
>
> Hogan, thank you for your insightful albeit condescending response.  Iâ??m glad I was able to brighten your day with my post.  Iâ??ll give your advice to move the wireless receiver a try.

> [...]

Roger Roger Roger
Please be advised that this is a usenet newsgroup.
Where nobody should be thin skinned when posting here.

As for your challenge think about this.
Everything man made has a + or - tolerance.

If I told you or typed about all of the freaky unexplained
things that I have noticed you would be reading
for a very long time.  Not going to take the time here
but suffice it to say that some things can't be explained.
Or better said, it is not worth the time and aggravation
to figure it out.  Choose a different solution and move on.

When I have a freaky happening with a product and I am at my
wits end I call Tech Support.  The number of times I have been told
"Never heard of that before" is staggering.

The best thing would be to follow basic guidelines that were
very well explained by Hogan and see what happens.

So look for patterns.  My trouble shooting rule is to find the nots.
Once you find all the "it's not this and not that" then the only
thing left is what it is.

If you have all the "tech savvy" stuff you say you have, then
you should figure out what might be going on, or not.
Maybe you have a bad or sometimes defective thingie.

Isn't getting free education wonderful??

Good Luck!!

Les

Hey Hogan,
BTW excellent post, very informative and to the point.
Especially!!
"Soothing music in the background is also encouraged... no hard-rock"