Re: Camera on Power-Line Adapters

On 1/21/2018 12:10 AM, E D wrote:
> Hi Les,
>
> Glad to hear that it worked for you except for when the sign is on...minor details.
>
> I found this link: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6814439/?reload=true titled "The influence of fluorescent lamps with electronic ballast on the low voltage PLC network. The PLC being the PowerLine Channnel.
>
> It appears that the PLC can be easily affected by the lamps. That is not something that I was aware of, nor have experienced before. I even found an article about an illegal pot grower who was using high power fluorescent lamps for growing and had the "Interference Police" (the local internet company's Interference Tech) knock on his door. His growing operation was affecting Internet communications for the neighborhood!
>
> Quoting from the article, "In the (3kHz-150kHz) the interference level from fluorescent lamps is significantly below the allowed maximum PLC signal levels. In the 150kHz-30MHz band however, PLC signals compete with Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) levels.
>
> Basically, fluorescent lamps on- PowerLine Channel compromised.
>
> It should be possible that by having an isolated 120vac line for the video and powerline adapters, that this would provide enough isolation for the errant and unwanted interference. There may also be a possibility that the fluorescent "radiation field" could still interfere with the PLC channel, but that should be to a lesser extent. If this happens, you could isolate either the ballasts or your equipment at the sign, or both, with an EM shield. Much like shielded CAT5 wiring that is wrapped with foil, you could outer-wrap your wiring and anything else that you deem fit, making sure that you will not be causing any
> heat-accumulation to any wiring or equipment.
>
> You would also want to look at any interference being caused at the other end of the line, where the other powerline adapter is- in relation to the wiring that goes out of the building to power that sign. Just because a/c power is flowing out to the sign, interference is not limited to one-way. The EM field of the power wiring could carry an interference wave and also be affecting the other adapter. A radiation shield could be also needed there. Also, if there is any type of power-switching equipment at the building end for any other sign, I would take a look at that also.

> [...]

E D,

Thanks for the link.

The only way the EMF or RF from the fluorescent fixtures can get into
the would be on the sign side where it is exposed wiring.

The Powerline adapter is inside a metal enclosure.  If that is true
then separating the circuits by installing a transformer will not
help since the wiring for the 'now' dedicated circuit is still exposed
to the EMF or RF that is inside the sign.

Did I type that correct??

Thanks!!

Les