Re: Dell laptops are junk...

On 12/5/2018 12:27 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 11:15:05 PM UTC-5, RTS wrote:

>>> I've had a Dell since 2009 and it's still working. Used for up/downloading panels, starlink connect programing, Ubiquity access  points, Home theater remote control programing, CCTV NVR programing etc for all those years. Replaced the hard drive once as preventive maintenance and the standby battery once. the figures are just about worn off of the keys after all these years.
>>>
>>> Just up graded to a Dell notebook from Costco. But, once I got it home, I realized that the screen was too small for these weary eyes so with the 90 day return policy, I retuned it and for $100.00 more I got a laptop with a 17 inch display. It's big and heavier than the notebook but still fits in my case and I only use it for work. New Laptop has a built in DVD record/playback and a couple of more USB ports. Had to get the wireless mouse though. I couldn't get the touch pad adjusted to respond like my old one. The old laptop had a touchpad and a left and right button. The new one doesn't have buttons and the "tap" response isn't that good. I'm still in the process of transferring data from the old to the new and loading apps. It's really fast and the video resolution is great.
>>>
>>> Hope I don't have any problems. I got the 3 year extended warranty.
>> Best of luck with yours..
>>
>> I got am old eMachine E627 I use for work.
>>
>> bought it second hand, but is a work horse..
>>
>> Needs a new battery  but does all the stuff I need and then some...
>>
>> even got a thumb drive with "Rufus" i use for all old DOS programs..
>>
>> ---
>>
>> The bitch about that Dell was it was never used,  just sat on a shelf,
>> started once a week for updates and such..
>>
>> bought it back in 2016, within the first 6 months it was back at the
>> factory shop, had all the guts replaced twice..
>>
>> and even had the extended warranty, (which today they told me, it ran
>> concurrently with the factory warranty)
>>
>> so was actually just 1 year long.. (thanks Office MAX)
>>

>> --
>>
>> *Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*
> Yeah, I got caught with that concurrent warrantee scam on something I bought a long time ago and so now I always ask if it's concurrent or not. If not â?¦.. I don't get it.
>
> Costco is an additional time after the factory warranty. It was just a $100..00.
>
> I'm hearing some good things lately about Costco.
> I went to Costco with one of my customers who is building a sports media room with three TV's, a 6 channel Tivo and four Tivo mini's through out the house.
>
> He purchased an 65 inch LG OLED TV for $2600.00. about a month ago. Last week he noticed that the price had dropped $300.00. He brought his receipt back and they credited his account for the difference.
>
> If you have a Costco near you, you may want to take a look at what they have. Here, in my area they have a lot of HP and Dell.

> [...]
I don't usually get those warranties, but this one was a gift (at the
time) for the wifie..

Don't know of any CostCo's in this area,  the daughter would be the one
for that  (LOL)

As for DOS,  we still use parts of an old Alpha 4 data base and the
upload/download software for

FBII's, Moose, even a few DSC's, and a couple of Summits from Israel..

After 45 years we have quite the selection of equipment still working
out there...    (LOL)

(even got a few Ademco 612 dialers around) (try finding replacement tape
cartridges for those) (LOL)

as for the "Key"  mine didn't come with a key, but again it was 2nd hand..

I did notice the hole in the back for one..

That might be why it says the battery needs replacing..   ;-)

--

*Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*