Re: Dell laptops are junk...

On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 11:15:05 PM UTC-5, RTS wrote:
> On 12/4/2018 7:48 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> > On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 1:55:42 PM UTC-5, RTS wrote:
> >> just back from the repair store
> >>
> >> it seems wife's Dell laptop had died again..
> >>
> >> third processor gone bad in 2.5 years...
> >>
> >> wouldn't be so bad if it was being used.
> >>
> >> But it mostly just sits on the shelf as a backup..
> >>

> >> Time to shit-can this thing...
> >>
> >> (((just letting off a little steam)))
> >>
> >> --=20
> >>
> >> *Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*
> > I've had a Dell since 2009 and it's still working. Used for up/download=
ing panels, starlink connect programing, Ubiquity access  points, Home thea=
ter remote control programing, CCTV NVR programing etc for all those years.=
 Replaced the hard drive once as preventive maintenance and the standby bat=
tery once. the figures are just about worn off of the keys after all these =
years.

> > Just up graded to a Dell notebook from Costco. But, once I got it home,=
 I realized that the screen was too small for these weary eyes so with the =
90 day return policy, I retuned it and for $100.00 more I got a laptop with=
 a 17 inch display. It's big and heavier than the notebook but still fits i=
n my case and I only use it for work. New Laptop has a built in DVD record/=
playback and a couple of more USB ports. Had to get the wireless mouse thou=
gh. I couldn't get the touch pad adjusted to respond like my old one. The o=
ld laptop had a touchpad and a left and right button. The new one doesn't h=
ave buttons and the "tap" response isn't that good. I'm still in the proces=
s of transferring data from the old to the new and loading apps. It's reall=
y fast and the video resolution is great.

> > Hope I don't have any problems. I got the 3 year extended warranty.
>=20
> Best of luck with yours..
>=20
> I got am old eMachine E627 I use for work.
>=20
> bought it second hand, but is a work horse..
>=20
> Needs a new battery=C2=A0 but does all the stuff I need and then some...
>=20
> even got a thumb drive with "Rufus" i use for all old DOS programs..
>=20
> ---
>=20
> The bitch about that Dell was it was never used,=C2=A0 just sat on a shel=
f,=20
> started once a week for updates and such..
>=20
> bought it back in 2016, within the first 6 months it was back at the=20
> factory shop, had all the guts replaced twice..
>=20
> and even had the extended warranty, (which today they told me, it ran=20
> concurrently with the factory warranty)
>=20
> so was actually just 1 year long.. (thanks Office MAX)
>=20
>=20
> --=20
>=20
> *Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*

Yeah, I got caught with that concurrent warrantee scam on something I bough=
t a long time ago and so now I always ask if it's concurrent or not. If not=
 =E2=80=A6.. I don't get it.

Costco is an additional time after the factory warranty. It was just a $100=
.00.

I'm hearing some good things lately about Costco.=20
I went to Costco with one of my customers who is building a sports media ro=
om with three TV's, a 6 channel Tivo and four Tivo mini's through out the h=
ouse.

He purchased an 65 inch LG OLED TV for $2600.00. about a month ago. Last we=
ek he noticed that the price had dropped $300.00. He brought his receipt ba=
ck and they credited his account for the difference.

If you have a Costco near you, you may want to take a look at what they hav=
e. Here, in my area they have a lot of HP and Dell.=20

ANNNNNND What the hell are you using that still needs DOS ?????=20
If you tried to use DOS on that Dell maybe that's the reason it broke down =
=E2=80=A6. out of disgust! BUT ..... Bill Gates would be proud of you! =20

Doesn't that eMachine have a windup key on the back instead of a battery? :=
-)=20