Re: Remember the Good Old Days

On Monday, September 11, 2017 at 6:26:13 PM UTC-4, NickMark wrote:
> On Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 7:38:23 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> > I still recall Robert Bass calling me up to brag endlessly and complain=
=20
> > about Mike Sabodish only to have Mike call me a little later to carry o=
n=20
> > about Robert Bass.  Don't worry, machinists and tackle makers have the =
same=20
> > kinds of guys and more of them.  I'm not missing out.  LOLI doubt Rob B=
ass could even keep up with todays technolgy especially all the cell ular a=
nd automation

Ahh .... I dohknow bout that.=20

There's no denying that he was a pretty smart guy.
Unfortunately it was his obsessive need to think that anything that he did =
or thought was the only possible alternative, without consideration of anyo=
ne else.=20

I know he could make a Napco 9600 control panel jump through hoops. I've be=
en using Napco for over 30 years and still never had a need to do some of t=
he things he was able to program those panels to do. The 9600 was ahead of =
it's time and little recognized by the trade for it's capabilities which st=
ill aren't too shabby in comparison to some of the newer panels all these y=
ears later. He used the scheduling and holiday features to accommodate Orth=
odox Jewish restrictions on the uses of technology during certain holidays =
in some pretty intuitive and amazing ways.

And ..... if you think about it ..... he was ahead of his time as far as th=
e DIY aspect that the alarm industry is presently taking. I don't know if h=
is web site is still active but if it is, I'd guess it's doing some great b=
usiness in the present climate.=20

I think his capabilities deserve some recognition but his totally deliberat=
e disruptive personality more than overshadowed any respect that he might h=
ave achieved ,,,,,,, at least in this forum.

I have thought that perhaps he took on a different persona than his real se=
lf when he participated in the groups that he disrupted on Usenet. I mean h=
e actually reported someone to the FAA and told lies that caused someone to=
 have their flying license revoked! And he did that because of a disagreeme=
nt he had with him in Usenet. How can someone do something like that and fe=
el justified about it and be considered a sane and civil person? Didn't see=
m to bother him in the least.

I deliberately, aggressively and openly opposed him in this group way beyon=
d anything that anyone else did but I didn't hide the fact that I was disru=
pting a group that was already being disrupted by his aggressions. In other=
 words, if he could take on a onerous persona and disrupt the group, so cou=
ld someone else. And what difference did it make because no one could accom=
plish anything here, with or with out me. I'm just too stubborn to let anyo=
ne walk all over me with impunity. I know a number (maybe all) of the peopl=
e in this group thought that I was a raging asshole but I never was angry, =
I just took on the persona of someone as outrageous as he was. If no one el=
se was going to be allowed to accomplish anything here because of his disru=
ptions, then I wasn't going to let him accomplish anything either.=20

Story be told, maybe in his real life he was a good person but ... in my op=
inion, judged by what he appeared to be here and in Usenet... he met a just=
 end.