Re: MONA T. RONICS

QUOTE:  I use the dealer code (like most) to keep anyone from messing with =
the program. It is my practice however, to deprogram the system should the =
account leave for any reason. Only time I don't is when they don't pay or i=
f they leave without notice. If possible I try to pick up the new occupants=
 but if not, and if convenient and if they allow it, I will default the pan=
el for them in case they ever want to reactivate it or do a DIY system.=20

I've had a few occasions where the new owners installer will call asking fo=
r the programming code at which point I will make arrangements to download =
the panel if they or the previous owners have left on good terms. Most time=
s I find that other installers will be likewise accommodating when the situ=
ation is reversed. Not always .... but most times.=20

However, now with cellular ...... that has all become a moot point, so I've=
 not been so diligent lately.=20

I've had a few times where after a period of time the new owners are not ha=
ppy with their brother in law installer or their alarm company drops out of=
 business or they have an issue with their central station and they remembe=
r the cooperation and feel they want to try someone else ...... I've picked=
 up an account. Not often ..... but it has happened. Off the top of my head=
, there are at least 4 customers that I've picked up that way. One I've had=
 for about 18 - 20 years now.=20

Hi Jim,

-----We do basically the same thing for security reasons. The programming i=
s locked out while they are a customer and the installer code can be given =
out to anyone that calls from the premises, or that can be identified over =
a cellphone. The box is screwed shut top & bottom with paper seals on top o=
f the screws, overlapping the door and the main box. The seals have warning=
s and company name on them, this way we know if anyone has opened the box f=
or any reason.

The reason that we can give out the installer code to any company out there=
 that happens to take over the system at a later date, is that we use one o=
f 10,000 possible code combinations for any customer. This saves from havin=
g to actually change the code back to default. By developing/using your own=
 algorithm to generate an installer code for each customer, you prevent any=
one from giving away or discovering your installer code, since they are all=
 different. How many times I have heard someone say that so and so company'=
s installer code is xxxx, isn't even funny. Since we can get into just abou=
t any system, we record the code for faster take-overs in the future. It mu=
st be close to 95% of companies that use the same installer code for every =
customer. Also, it is not wise to use the account number as the installer c=
ode either. It appears that some companies seem to think that no one will k=
now, yes, just like those customers who think that no one will know that th=
ey are using the default code of 1234.

You can use your own unique way to generate 'the' installer code for a spec=
ific customer. It can be as complicated as your own imagination, or as simp=
le as a number picked out of the air-just as long as you also record it som=
ewhere in  triplicate in distinct places. It may seem superfluous to some a=
nd unwarranted, but it sure is less work and worry than some company target=
ing your customers because they got a hold of your unique installer code.

I am thinking of leveling the playing field in the area of companies that u=
se "chastity chips" enabled mainboards. I see no need to keep the informati=
on to myself, nor to worry about repercussions.

Yet, I am concerned that if the 'Mona' type companies get to know their wea=
knesses, by publicly revealing how to circumvent them, then they would find=
 a way to strengthen the 'locks' on their products that are sold to unsuspe=
cting consumers. It is much the same way as what intelligence agencies have=
 to go thru, you never want to reveal what you know, when you know, and how=
 you know it.

Perhaps you or someone out there may think of a way to overcome this possib=
ility. I have some ideas, but I would like some input from bonafide compani=
es out there first.

ED