Re: Looking for a Dong Ding

On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 6:30:16 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
> Hey guys,
>=20
> I am searching for a audible door chime that operates on 12vdc.
> What I would like is something like the wireless door bell setups with=20
> out the wireless.
>=20
> I know I can get piezo beepers in a variety of frequency's and db=20
> ratings but I find them
> less than appealing.  I am thinking more of a 3" speaker in a box with a=
=20
> two tone chip driver
> that when 12vdc is applied for a couple of seconds it makes an audible=20
> output like a
> ding dong, bong boop, twiddle dee dum.
>=20
> I had a conversation today with "Mr. Chime".  The man himself!!  I asked=
=20
> him if there was
> as way to make one of his units respond to a contact closer.  Sadly he=20
> said no, since it
> is all integral within the the receiver board. DRAT!!!
>=20
> I know that I could get a ELK120 and record the sound on a chip.  But,=20
> that is just a bit
> overkill for what I want to do, not to mention the cost.  Although it=20
> may be the only way.
>=20
> My hope is that one of you guys just throws out the part number and I=20
> off and running.
>=20
> So, any thoughts on the topic??
>=20
> At the very least there might be some additional activity it the good=20
> ol' ASA.
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
> Les

Hey Les, I'm thinking that if you got a regular doorbell that operates on 1=
6/24 volts AC, that if you adjust the electrical coil contacts and the reco=
il spring on the doorbell it will probably work with 12 VDC. Might not be a=
s loud as with 16VAC but it's just a coil and a set of contacts.=20

Also, if you scraped some of the insulation off of the relay coils and sold=
ered/shorted out some of the windings it would work better at 12VDC.  And, =
how about using 24VDC? If your just closing a set of contracts to operate t=
he bell, use an Altronix 12/24 VDC power supply set at 24 volts.=20

If you're using the 12VDC from an alarm panel it's gonna use a lot of curre=
nt.