Re: Trash

"ABLE1" <someone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:zoxfz.34$Zw1.11@xxxxxxxxxxx
> On 7/7/2016 11:59 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> "Bob La Londe" <none@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> "Jim" <alarminex@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I'm noticing around here that is seems that as the price of solar comes
>>> down the popularity of LED effect lighting is increasing. Pool,
>>> landscape
>>> lights etc. I think I saw something about a system that uses capacitors
>>> hold the charge instead of batteries. So that means after you buy the
>>> items there's no further cost to run it. Cool!
>>>
>>> I can remember back in the 60's when I got to work with my first LED's.
>>> (which I guess was a new invention along with the transistor then) It
>>> seemed like it was just a novelty at the time. Who knew? I sometimes
>>> think
>>> about the fact that my first foray into technology was based on devices
>>> that ran on vacuum tubes. I'd bet that less than 2 out of a 10 technical
>>> people I deal with today have ever even seen a vacuum tube, much less
>>> know
>>> how they work.
>>>
>>> ~~~~~~~~~
>>>
>>> Makes sense, but it would need a pretty good voltage regulator to make
>>> optimum use of the CAPs.  You would want to charge them up near their
>>> maximum voltage rating.  I've got caps in some of my CNC machines that
>>> would take days to discharge if I didn't put a parasitic load across
>>> them.
>>> They are capabable of enough momentary current to weld doors shut if you
>>> did something dumb.
>>>
>>> I think the cap bank to do the job would need to be a little expensive
>>> and
>>> large, but the cycle life would be quite long.  I have a couple caps on
>>> the 78VDC PS on my large mill that are about 30 years old.
>>>
>>> Chemical batteries are a lot more efficient at storing power though.
>>> Its
>>> a trade off I guess between power storage and cycle life.
>>>
>>> Haven't really spent much time thinking through this application just
>>> yet.
>>> I've got so much other work to do.  Right now I am making a "machine
>>> room"
>>> in the shop that I can air condition so I don't die working through the
>>> summer.
>>
>> Most of the used keypads went out in the trash yesterday, under a layer
>> of
>> other parts.  I just saved a few as spares for my buildings and my dad's
>> buildings.  Had to check with Dad to remind myself what panels he had.
>>
>> What's next...  I was going to sell some duct detectors and acrylic
>> mirrors
>> on Ebay, but the average selling price just wasn't worth my time.  I
>> don't
>> really want to keep them though.  I am getting really jealous of my
>> available shelf space.  Dumpster it is.  I've still got three NIB
>> Starlink
> [...]

At the moment I am eliminating a large section of shelving so I can build a
machine room on the side of the office inside the shop.  I want to drop the
temperature around my machines so I am less likely to fry computers.  I've
run the last several summers without air conditioning the machines, but
these computers were never really intended to run in an Arizona warehouse in
the summer.  After that is done the outside walls of the machine room will
get shelves again.