Re: Trash

"Bob La Londe" <none@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:nljef0$btc$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Jim" <alarminex@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On Saturday, July 2, 2016 at 1:20:19 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> Still not sure what to do with that stack of solar panels I had for model
>> homes that didn't have power yet.  Maybe I'll use them to put a backup
>> lighting system in the shop.  Not enough watts for much else.
>
> I'm noticing around here that is seems that as the price of solar comes
> down the popularity of LED effect lighting is increasing. Pool, landscape
> lights etc. I think I saw something about a system that uses capacitors to
> hold the charge instead of batteries. So that means after you buy the
> items there's no further cost to run it. Cool!
>
> I can remember back in the 60's when I got to work with my first LED's.
> (which I guess was a new invention along with the transistor then) It
> seemed like it was just a novelty at the time. Who knew? I sometimes think
> about the fact that my first foray into technology was based on devices
> that ran on vacuum tubes. I'd bet that less than 2 out of a 10 technical
> people I deal with today have ever even seen a vacuum tube, much less know
> how they work.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~
>
> Makes sense, but it would need a pretty good voltage regulator to make
> optimum use of the CAPs.  You would want to charge them up near their
> maximum voltage rating.  I've got caps in some of my CNC machines that
> would take days to discharge if I didn't put a parasitic load across them.
> They are capabable of enough momentary current to weld doors shut if you
> did something dumb.
>
> I think the cap bank to do the job would need to be a little expensive and
> large, but the cycle life would be quite long.  I have a couple caps on
> the 78VDC PS on my large mill that are about 30 years old.
>
> Chemical batteries are a lot more efficient at storing power though.  Its
> a trade off I guess between power storage and cycle life.
>
> Haven't really spent much time thinking through this application just yet.
> I've got so much other work to do.  Right now I am making a "machine room"
> in the shop that I can air condition so I don't die working through the
> summer.

Most of the used keypads went out in the trash yesterday, under a layer of
other parts.  I just saved a few as spares for my buildings and my dad's
buildings.  Had to check with Dad to remind myself what panels he had.

What's next...  I was going to sell some duct detectors and acrylic mirrors
on Ebay, but the average selling price just wasn't worth my time.  I don't
really want to keep them though.  I am getting really jealous of my
available shelf space.  Dumpster it is.  I've still got three NIB Starlink
3G/4G cells with data cables if somebody wants them and doesn't waste my
time.  $150 shipping included.  One is "shelf worn" from being in my service
truck.  I'll just throw them in a USPS FRB.  I threw away all my other spare
cells.  If its a pain they can go in the dumpster too.  I plan for official
inventory to be zero by the end of the year.