Re: Envisalink monitoring satisfaction?

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 6:45:27 PM UTC-6, E DAWSON wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
>      The trend of companies locking their security systems is=20
> counter-productive. I attended last year a DSC "NEO" new product=20
> presentation by one of their regional reps. I lasted about 45 minutes=20
> waiting steadfastly and impatiently for the coming break. The rep kept go=
ing=20
> on and on about Alarm.com and how their new NEO products had locked out=
=20
> "their" bus- so no one will be able to use it except whom they choose. It=
=20
> was reported that negotiations were still underway for them to license th=
eir=20
> bus to Alarm.com. I was only interested in the specs of the new system. I=
=20
> quickly  came to find out that NEO is not backward compatible for anythin=
g;=20
> not keypads, not wireless, not fobs, not anything. That was a very grave=
=20
> error on their part-NUMBER 1. Their bus being locked out so that add-on f=
obs=20
> cannot be used, nor IPdatatel, nor anything that you can think of that is=
=20
> made by other companies. Another very serious error-NUMBER 2. And then, i=
f=20
> you looked at the pricing for the dealers, it was just about twice the pr=
ice=20
> of the PC 1616 kits. And that is the last nail in the coffin-NUMBER 3. Oh=
=20
> yes, now you can see some lower pricing for their "kits" -they took out t=
he=20
> keypad in it so that they could sell the kit cheaper. They have now becom=
e a=20
> joke in the industry. Just lately, I was talking to one supplier. He was =
not=20
> even aware that the bus was locked out.
>=20
>      This was not a decision made by DSC, this is more of a decision made=
 by=20
> the parent company TICO. DSC has had good products reasonably priced for=
=20
> quite a while. I cannot imagine that after a long track record of good=20
> accomplishments, that the same folks would suddenly destroy their company=
.=20
> They have thoroughly painted themselves into a no-return corner. Greed ha=
s a=20
> way of making you blind, so they say. And the new folks at DSC have just=
=20
> proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt.
>=20
>      When DSC does away with their Power-series line and only has NEO to=
=20
> sell, we will end our relationship with DSC and go with our second-in-lin=
> [...]

Have you heard of the class action lawsuit filed against ADT for using non-=
encrypted wireless communications. The NEO is one of a very few wireless se=
curity systems that use encrypted wireless sensors & fobs with spread spect=
rum technology. If you continue to install all of those non-encrypted syste=
ms (2GIG, GE, Honeywell, DSC Power Series, etc.) you may be decreasing the =
re-sell value of your monitored accounts.=20

We use this as a selling point and the customers are willing to pay more fo=
r a better system - even in an ultra competitive region like Dallas.

I don't like paying more for the panel & keypads either (the sensors themse=
lves are actually little cheaper than power series wireless devices).=20

Also, NEO has a place in larger warehouse installations. We have used it in=
 a number of jobs this year where we otherwise would have had to pay $300-$=
400 for renting a lift to run wires. Conventional wireless would not have w=
orked in those installs.

I am working on a quote right now that the customer does not want monitorin=
g but does want remote smart phone control. He now knows about the encrypte=
d NEO wireless versus the non-encrypted systems and wants a NEO. I will hav=
e to break the news that an Envisalink will not work on that system. That w=
ill NOT break the deal and he might even decide to go ahead with monitoring=
 and then I will get another monitored account.