Re: Napco Gem-P3200 Daylight Saving Time

On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 5:49:52 PM UTC-5, David B wrote:
> My Napco board is 10 years old and uses the old dates for changing to Day=
light Saving and Standard times.
>=20
> I have a VER 11E micro that will correct that problem but I don't know ho=
w to install it. The local alarm company couldn't care less and Napco tech =
support doesn't support users, only professionals.
>=20
> Do I replace the micro with both AC and battery disconnected? And if I do=
 this myself will I lose all current programming and end up with a non-work=
ing system?

Do you have access to the dealer programming via the Napco Quickloader and =
do you know how to program the panel? If not, then don't change the micropr=
ocessor.

If you do, then power down the panel.
Before you take the chip out of the protective bag, make sure you have grou=
nded yourself to the alarm panel. While changing and handling the chip don'=
t be doing anything that would cause static electricity to build up between=
 you and anything else .... mainly the alarm panel.

I'm presuming that you don't have a chip extractor or inserter.

Before beginning to remove the old chip, make sure you note which end of th=
e chip the key mark is on. You don't want to put the new chip in backwards.=
=20

The old chip needs to be pried out VERY CAREFULLY without bending any of th=
e pins. Pry a little from one side then a little from the other side and gr=
adually remove the chip from the socket.

Once removed, put it in the protective bag that the new chip came in. Keep =
it, just in case something goes wrong while or after the new chip is instal=
led.

Take a look at the angle of the pins on the new chip. You'll notice that th=
e pins are spread wider than the holes in the socket.=20

Lay the pin side of the new chip down with the pins down, up against a hard=
 surface.(table, etc) You have to bend all of the pins simultaneously just =
slightly inward to try and make them form a right angle with the chip. If y=
ou bend them too much inward, it's difficult to straighten them back again.=
 So just bend them ever so slightly ..... first one side of the chip .... a=
nd then the other ..... so that the pins will line up with the holes in the=
 chip socket. =20

Line the new chip up with the socket, make sure all the pins are lined up w=
ith the holes in a socket. If you're not careful, one of more of the chip p=
ins can bend and it's a bear to try and straighten them out and you could p=
ossibly brake or damage a pin beyond repair. Push down with even pressure a=
ll the while noting that none of the pins are bending.

Once you install the new chip. power up the panel and now you can go into p=
rogramming to review all of your settings to make sure noting has changed.=
=20

If it doesn't work, you can always reinstall the old chip. BUT .... in any =
case, if you don't have access to the dealer programming, don't change the =
chip.