Re: leaving next alarm for the envisalink

thank you that had some helpful information.

As I mentioned in my first post I am installing a vista. The lynx was my
first install. I now know better than to use a all in one however I left
it alone because it still worked well and was away from entrances. My
hope is that the self monitoring will be more reliable over the internet
with the envisalink module.

The elk security system seems a little more modern and could be
compatible but I don't need any of the home automation features. It also
costs a lot more.  My house already has all ademco sensors. All rooms
with windows have glass breaks and most have contacts as well. I only
have 1 motion sensor. I'm exploring ideas for running hardwired but don't
want to drill a bunch of holes in my finished home. I even keep a sensor
on the door leading to the unfinished part of our basement as a backup to
the glass breaks on those windows.

I do have 1 smoke. I've thought about going to the nest brand for those
when it comes time to replace. The new models are said to be reliable and
have a c02 detector as well. They work over your wifi.

As for cameras. I've read forum posts from expert installers and you
often need a good face level shot for it to hold up in court. The uk
reported that cams are often useless and only a small percentage help
solve crimes. I rarely review my outdoor footage anymore so I wouldn't
even know if there was a prowler unless something was wrong. 1 or 2
indoor cams seem to be a cost effective solution. I also prefer to keep
them separate from my alarm as they function just fine on their own.

Its all about having the best balance between cost, maintenance, and
protection. I do have my side garage door reinforced. This is how I was
broken into and seems common in this area. However it seems much more
feasible to protect your entire house electronically than turn it into a
fort.