Re: Napco P3200 firmware update options

On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 9:43:17 AM UTC-4, Remote Enabled Home wrote=
:
> Bob & Jim,
>=20
> Thanks for the replies!
>=20
> I have the Home Automation Kit but it came with a newer firmware "V40C" t=
han my (1st generation) GEM-P3200 will accept.  I have the PCI-mini and can=
 use the latest Quickloader with it to load to and from the old panel.
>=20
> I am a registered dealer with NAPCO.  But tech help from NAPCO is not eas=
y to get.  Maybe some of the bigger dealers have direct connections to tech=
 help but all I have is the regional sales person who forwards my emails to=
 tech help and sometimes I get a reply.
>=20
> Last month I took a full day training session as a NAPCO registered deale=
r on using Quickloader Windows along with Home Automation at NAPCO's Headqu=
arters on Long Island, NY, but it was mostly about them advertising for ala=
rm dealers to sell the new NAPCO home automation solutions and monitoring s=
ervice and how to configure these services in Quickloader Windows with thei=
r newer panels.
>=20
> Technicians at NAPCO will not tell me if "V11E" will work as they only wa=
nts to answer questions about their "NEW" panels with THEIR "NEW" home auto=
mation solution.  Their solution for me is to get their new panel and use t=
heir home automation product and their central station monitoring service.
>=20
> I find it concerning that NAPCO does not support their older products or =
have documents about the different version firmware's capabilities are.
>=20
> As per the following link to a February 2002 NAPCO document "GEM-P3200 & =
GEM-P9600  ADDENDUM Version 11D Software Changes" on the 2nd page bottom st=
ates "Version 11D has been enhanced for interface to a Crestron Home Automa=
tion system (V11D HA only)";
>=20
> http://www.napcosecurity.com/images/panels/GEM-P3200_V11D_WI987B_ADDM.pdf
>=20
> Here is a link to NAPCO tech note about "V11E" superseding "V9", "V10", a=
nd "V11":
>=20
> http://tech.napcosecurity.com/index.php/faq/details/id/398/?brand_id=3D1&=
faq_category_id=3D13
>=20
> I also have the NAPCO document "GEMINI Home / Building Automation Develop=
ment Specifications" that explains the automation interface from NAPCO Gemi=
ni control panels.
>=20
> http://board.homeseer.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3D44772&d=3D1425905=
523
>=20
> FAQ from NAPCO that states that GEM-P9600 and GEM-P3200 firmware are inte=
rchangable.
>=20
> http://tech.napcosecurity.com/index.php/faq/details/id/321/?brand_id=3D1&=
faq_category_id=3D13
>=20
> I am hoping to get my control system to eventually be integrated to my ol=
d NAPCO GEM-P3200 but to get the correct NAPCO firmware in the old 1st gene=
ration panel is stoping me from doing it.
>=20
> My search continues for "V11D HA" or IF "V11E" will work.
>=20
> Thanks from
>=20
> REH
> --=20
> This post on narkive:
> http://narkive.com/AY0WCT0e.5

I don't understand why you have to go through your local rep to contact Nap=
co Tech support. Just call their 800 number and push #1 and talk to the tec=
h who picks up the phone. If he doesn't know the answer ask to speak to som=
eone who does. 800 645 9445. If that doesn't work. Call 800 645 9445 and te=
ll the operator that you are having a problem with a product and you can't =
seem to get the techs to help you and that you would like to speak to someo=
ne either in management (not the sales rep) or someone in engineering. If t=
hat doesn't work ask to speak to someone in customer service and explain th=
e whole thing to them and that you don't want to speak to tech support unle=
ss it's with someone who can give you the right answers.=20

BUT If you're trying to use the HA chip with a 3200 it's not likely to work=
 .... regardless of what they say. Besides.... you can buy a new "board onl=
y" for less than a $100.00.