Re: Glass break sensors: FG1608 vs Shatterpoint 5620?

On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 2:15:06 AM UTC-4, maxwe...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I am looking to install glass break sensors on large windows. I am worrie=
d about false alarms, as its close to the kitchen.  FG1608 seems mostly an =
acoustic detector but also detects low frequencies. Shatterpoint has a shoc=
k sensor, has to be mounted directly on the frame.
>=20
> Does anyone has experience with these sensors? Which one would be more ro=
bust to false alarms?
>=20
> Also, if I go with a general acoustic sensor, is the Honeywell FG1600 ser=
ies better than Shatterpro?

Every manufacturer has it's features that is different from the "other" man=
ufacturer. I've not heard of any one device that is better than all the oth=
ers.

I typically use audio glass break detectors mostly in commercial jobs. I us=
e them in situations that when someone is there, the system is off and when=
 they are closed, nothing is going on that would cause a false alarm.

Residential is another story. There are too many variables to contend with.=
 They might work in some cases, but mostly too many things are out of the u=
sers control or they eventually forget about their existence and don't conn=
ect events that can happen with the possibility of setting off the glass br=
eak detectors. Like getting one of those little high pitched squeaking bark=
ing dogs that will bounce off the door when they hear something. Or home th=
eater noises or .... or .... or ..... etc. The one advantage they do have i=
n residential is that the entire system can be armed when they are home and=
 it's ok to have pets roaming around when no one is home but still have ful=
l detection. No motion detectors that never get used or to worry about. And=
 no "pet immune" motion detectors that may or may not work. Cats are evil.

The not being able to test them is definitely a worrisome thing ..... howev=
er. The same goes for shock sensors that are applied directly to the glass.=
 Nobody ever tests them once they're installed.=20

Window foil is still the best kind of glass break detection. When it's work=
ing you know it. When it's not .... you know it.   Maintenance is a bear th=
ough.