Re: Looking for Vehicle Advice

"JoeRaisin" <joeraisin2001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:m9g7d2$bv4$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> My work van does something odd.
>
> 80% of the time, the van rolls straight and smooth but every now and then
> it feels like the front tires are wobbling.  This is to varying degrees -
> sometimes it feels like a little shimmy and sometimes it feels like they
> are about to fall off.  This happens randomly on all manner of road
> conditions but seems to be limited to higher speeds (40+) and more often
> than not during acceleration.
>
> The shop did an alignment and the tires have been balanced.  They have
> looked at the front end and said there is nothing wrong - last time I was
> told it was the tires picking up snow and ice but it happens in all four
> seasons.
>
> It happens on straightaways and on curves of either direction.  Slowing
> down will stop it but it will also stop of its own accord after a few
> seconds.  I don't think it has ever lasted more than 15-20 seconds - the
> shimmy version if it, at any rate.  The more pronounce version ends
> quickly because I will take my foot off the gas and reducing speed will
> usually end it.
>
> Any ideas?

Go old school on its ass.  Lift the front end off the ground.  Rest the
frame on some good locking jack stands.  Block the front and rear of both
wheels in the rear.  Now get a strong buddy to help you.  Have him shake one
wheel back and forth and up and down as hard as he can while you look at the
ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.  Also, feel for any slop in the wheel
bearing assembly.  ( I sure miss plane old ordinary wheel bearings).  If
that doesn't help you isolate the problem get a long straight pick (or other
similarly strong lever) and have your strong buddy use it to lift up and
then let off on the tire while you look for sloppy stuff.  Sometimes a bad
ball joint might not show, but you can find slop in it by squeezing it with
a pair of long handle slip joint pliers.

If its go king pins usually worn king pin bushings it will show with the
lever trick.