Re: Looking for Vehicle Advice

On 1/18/2015 10:45 PM, Jim wrote:
> On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 7:02:46 AM UTC-5, JoeRaisin wrote:
>> My work van does something odd.
>>
>> 80% of the time, the van rolls straight and smooth but every now and
>> then it feels like the front tires are wobbling.  This is to varying
>> degrees - sometimes it feels like a little shimmy and sometimes it feels
>> like they are about to fall off.  This happens randomly on all manner of
>> road conditions but seems to be limited to higher speeds (40+) and more
>> often than not during acceleration.
>>
>> The shop did an alignment and the tires have been balanced.  They have
>> looked at the front end and said there is nothing wrong - last time I
>> was told it was the tires picking up snow and ice but it happens in all
>> four seasons.
>>
>> It happens on straightaways and on curves of either direction.  Slowing
>> down will stop it but it will also stop of its own accord after a few
>> seconds.  I don't think it has ever lasted more than 15-20 seconds - the
>> shimmy version if it, at any rate.  The more pronounce version ends
>> quickly because I will take my foot off the gas and reducing speed will
>> usually end it.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Can you get someone to ride along side of you to watch while this is happening?
>
> If the tires are "bouncing" up and down then it's the shocks.
> If the tires are "wobbling" back and forth then it's tie rods, and/or ball joints,
> or (depending upon the age of the truck) King pins.
> Remotely possible is the rack and pinion steering,  but not likely.
>
> Whatever it is, get it fixed quickly. Every time it does it, ... it's taking a
> tremendous toll on the rest of the steering mechanism. Until you get it fixed, when
> it starts to vibrate ..... slow it down .... you could lose the whole front end.
>
> And uhhhh, if the people who did the alignment couldn't find it .... I'd suggest you try
> somewhere else. I mean ComeON .... it's a trouble shooting problem ..... What do they think?
>  You're just making up the whole thing?
> Sounds like they'd sooner do alignments than get into anything more difficult. And that means
> .... you don't want them to do the job to begin with.

First thing I do is slow down - I may be dumb, but I'm not crazy.

Happens rarely enough that he mech's take it for a spin and it doesn't
present so they think I'm crazy.  Like I said, the guy was sure I was
just picking up some snow and shit.

Same thing happens to us... customer has a problem and when we get
there, nothing is wrong.

That's why when my customer says her alarm panel ate the cat, the first
thing I do is check for bone and gristle in the motion sensors - lol.

Seriously though, I always figure there's SOMETHING going on - May be
the alarm panel - may be the cool clock the guy got when he retired and
didn't know the alarm was set for 2 am and THAT's why he thinks the
smoke detector in the living room is beeping every night for ten minutes
(real story).  I hate getting dismissed like I have been, so I don't do
it to others.  I always TRY to walk out the door with an explanation.

Anyways...

Got the OK from bossman this afternoon to take it elsewhere.