Re: Printing Old School vs New School

On 2/12/2015 12:09 AM, technomaNge wrote:
> On 02/11/2015 01:17 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
>>
>> Oh, Mfg. Tech Support says that they have not tested any or will they
>> approve or sanction anything other than direct connection to a "Parallel
>> Printer".
>>

> You should be looking for a capture program for your laptop to capture
> the printer output from the panel.
>
> I'd say a parallel-to-serial adapter connected to the panel,
> a serial-to-usb adapter connecting that to your laptop,
> a capture program on your laptop.
>
> I'm sure Blackbox or B&B Electronics can help with the adapters.
> Ask a ham operator about (packet) capture software.
>
> Connect everything, tell the panel to dump to printer,
> let a human read it in the capture program on the laptop,
> print to paper from the laptop.
>

> technomaNge

technomaNge

THANK YOU!!
NOW that is what I am getting at!!!  That makes some sense.
So, is this a theory on your part or have you actually made this happen??

BTW if this were to ever happen it would be installed at customers site
and connected to their PC for recording.  Of course the PC would need to
be running 24/7 unless there was a way to store it on a memory card or
something.

Even if it is your theory it does have merit and may actually work.

Thanks for the hint.

Les