Re: diy microwave alarm

On Monday, May 5, 2014 7:13:42 PM UTC-4, joe hey wrote:
> [...]
> >>=20
>=20
> >> I wonder if this can be equipped with laser pen-style laserdiodes, so
>=20
> >>=20
>=20
> >> that a high distance can be reached.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > Laser pen diodes are in the visible light spectrum. You'd want somethin=
>=20
> > in the infra red range.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > But .... I still think you're going to spend a lot more money (and
>=20
> > certainly time)  developing this Rube Goldberg device than it would cos=
>=20
> > to just go out and buy it. I know one thing that you haven't even
>=20
> > considered and that is alignment of the beams. You're thinking it's
>=20
> > going to be easy ..... (HA!)  And don't kid yourself ..... there ARE
>=20
> > going to be lots of false alarms regardless ..... and MORE of them if
>=20
> > you design it. You've got to guess that the manufacturers of these
>=20
> > devices didn't just think up the idea, put the device together and it
>=20
> > worked the first time. Outdoor sensors take years to develop and refine
>=20
> > and even then they are prone to false alarms.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > But ...... you sound like you're on a mission to prove something ....
>=20
> > so be it. Good luck.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Actually I'm not. I'm just trying to explore the options we have.
>=20
> And yes, I did consider alignment of the beams of a laser pen and think=
=20
>=20
> it's nearly impossible to do that right. Even if taking some very sturdy=
=20
>=20
> concrete posts, put them 4 m deep in the soil for stability, attach=20
>=20
> strong steel sockets around them holding the mirrors while using fine-
>=20
> threaded screws to adjust them.
>=20
> Keeping them aligned, or even clean after a rain without destroying the=
=20
>=20
> adjustment, will certainly be near to impossible.

And yet you still want to try to design and build one yourself?

>=20
>=20
> 'Just go out and buy it'? : X6, that's the problem :)
>=20
>=20
>=20
> thanks

Well then ... let's try it this way ...... how much do you think it would c=
ost you to make a device yourself? How many hours are you prepared to spend=
 experimenting? How long do you think it will take you to produce a viable =
device? How many strawberry seasons are you willing to sacrifice before the=
 unit works to your satisfaction? What will you have gained if you never (l=
ikely) get it to work properly? What will you have lost? =20

Unless you're not telling us all the details .... with the information at h=
and so far ..... well ... I won't say it again but .... you know what I'm g=
oing to say .....=20

And ........ I really think that even with a professionally manufactured de=
vice, you'd still have an unreliable system. Outdoor sensors are just .....=
 plain and simple ... unreliable.=20

How about some good watchdogs with one of those electronic dog fence thingi=
es and collars? You'd just have to be sure the dogs are meat eaters and not=
 vegetarian.