Re: diy microwave alarm

joe hey Wrote:

>Hi, I was wondering if there are any (I didn't find any using google) do
>it yourself descriptions for a microwave perimeter intrusion detector/
>alarm?
>
>From the pictures I've seen of opened up ones, the antennas used seem
>pretty simple. Electronincs shouldn't be too hard either.
>
>Application is for protecting an agricultural area of about 3 ha, bound
>by 6 straight lines and corners.
>
>Has anyone ever come across some useful links?

I would just use a CCTV system with motion sensing.  You can cover huge
areas with few cameras for that type of use.  Make sure the DVR has
external contacts to trip whatever annunciation or actionable device you
are planning to use once something is detected.  At least you'll have a
picture to go by if someone is stealing fruit!

Are you just trying to be notified if a person is roaming the field?  Why
not PE beams along the fence line? Or infrared/microwave combo units if
you are going to use lots of short-range detectors?  That will
drastically cut false "alarms".

Three acres is a lot to cover, and microwave sensors would be way down on
my list to consider (if they even made the list).  You're looking at
range issues, false positives, undetected positives, and a general pain
in the ass all the way around.

--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
 deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin