Re: Klein Tools

"Jim Rojas" <jrojas@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Px1sv.160033$OF6.47117@xxxxxxxxxxx
> On 6/29/2014 7:26 PM, RTS wrote:
>> "NickMark"  wrote in message
>>
>> On Sunday, June 29, 2014 1:23:11 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
>>> Has anybody else noted that some Klein tools are not as good as they
>>> once
>>>
>>> where?
>>>

>>> I have had two or three recently disappoint me.
>>>

>>> My new needle nose don't seem to cut crisply, the jaws are not the
>>> same size
>>>
>>> at the tip (thickness), the side of one jaw folded back a little
>>> already,
>>>
>>> and the back jaws don't close as nicely on a beanie as my old ones.
>>>

>>> I also tried a new hole saw from them that is supposed to drill, and
>>> cut for
>>>
>>> standard size knockouts, and then a spring is supposed to eject the
>>> plug.
>>>
>>> Their drill bit just snapped off the first time I used it before the
>>> teeth
>>>
>>> even really started to bite into the steel.
>>>

>>> A long reach screw driver I bought for adjusting sliding doors, seems to
>>>
>>> have pre rounded edges on the blades of the philips form.  Its very
>>> hard to
>>>
>>> move a stiff screw without it popping out constantly.
>>>

>>> They still say Made in USA on them, but this is more like I would expect
>>>
>>> from older cheap Chinese tools.  On the other hand they may not
>>> actually be
>>>
>>> Made in USA.  Klein has been known to make other things out of
>>> country, do a
>>>
>>> final process in the US, and label them Made in USA in the past.
>>
>>> Have noticed as well quality is not there anymore
>>

>> Xlite,  Cresent Tools.    I've been using the same Phillips Drivers for
>> over 15 years...
>>
>> But like you have noticed,  Klien Tools have begun to slip.....
>>
>> RTS
>>

>> ---
>> protection is active.
>>

> Don't let the BS on their website fool you. They have sourced out some of
> their tool production to Japan & Taiwan for years. They have closed and
> relocated factories for the past 15-20 years. I suspect it is a union
> busting move. I believe their newest forging facility is in Texas...alot
> closer to Mexico, if you get my drift...
>
> Jim Rojas

I was in their facility in San Luis, Az many years ago (closed now).  From
what I could see they were importing leather goods made in San Luis, Mexico,
putting the final rivet in at the top of the stitching in Az, and stamping
them Made In USA.  Those were actually pretty good leather goods though back
then though.  (22-23 years ago???)