Re: 3¢ Per Pound

"James B" <denco2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:41e0f53e-f6f3-490b-8446-6d299c45ae19@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:43:04 PM UTC-6, John Sowden wrote:
> On 06/07/2014 11:46 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>
> > In the past I've always had the vendor take care of my spent alarm
>
> > batteries.  No return, but no headache either.  The last couple years I
>
> > have not been able to do that so the pile is getting pretty big.  I
>
> > stopped by a local recycler and asked if they were interested in paying
>
> > for them.  Yep. 3? per pound.  That won't pay for the fuel in my truck
>
> > to take them over there much less my time.  What got me was the guy was
>
> > practically rubbing his hands and chortling when he told me 3? per
>
> > pound.  So how do the rest of you guys get rid of your old batteries?
>

> > There used to be a guy who would pickup car batteries listed on
>
> > Craigslist, but I haven't seen him on for a while.  Still, figured it
>
> > couldn't hurt to post an add to unload them on Craigslist see if one of
>
> > the scrappers would be interested in them and would pickup.  Atleast if
>
> > they pickup when they pay next to nothing it won't cost me money to
>
> > dispose of them.
>

> re: the craigslist guy, I called him (same guy?).  he is in Sacramento.
>
>   he pays 1.00 for a 12v 7ah bat
>

> John

>> We get about 1.25 per 7ah battery (in utah)

Strange vibes.  I was just about to look up this thread and post back my
latest findings.
Seems that I have been out done.  I just found a local place that is a
battery supplier that
paid me $0.23/lb for all batteries.   Wet cell and SLA's.  Got $50.00 for my
pile.
I thought I was doing pretty good till Utah came into the picture.

What is up with that??

$1.25/ pound for a 4.5 lb battery or $5.625 per battery that I pay $10.50
for brand new??

Who can make a profit on that??

Am I missing something here or is there some sub-culture going on.

Les