Re: Klein Tools

On Sunday, June 29, 2014 1:23:11 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> Has anybody else noted that some Klein tools are not as good as they once=
=20
>=20
> where?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I have had two or three recently disappoint me.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> My new needle nose don't seem to cut crisply, the jaws are not the same s=
ize=20
>=20
> at the tip (thickness), the side of one jaw folded back a little already,=
=20
>=20
> and the back jaws don't close as nicely on a beanie as my old ones.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I also tried a new hole saw from them that is supposed to drill, and cut =
for=20
>=20
> standard size knockouts, and then a spring is supposed to eject the plug.=
=20
>=20
> Their drill bit just snapped off the first time I used it before the teet=
h=20
>=20
> even really started to bite into the steel.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> A long reach screw driver I bought for adjusting sliding doors, seems to=
=20
>=20
> have pre rounded edges on the blades of the philips form.  Its very hard =
to=20
>=20
> move a stiff screw without it popping out constantly.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> They still say Made in USA on them, but this is more like I would expect=
=20
>=20
> from older cheap Chinese tools.  On the other hand they may not actually =
be=20
>=20
> Made in USA.  Klein has been known to make other things out of country, d=
o a=20
>=20
> final process in the US, and label them Made in USA in the past.

I take pretty good care of my tools. I sharpen, bend, cut, file etc, them u=
ntil they wear away or fall apart. I even sharpen my Miller stripers.  Craf=
tsman used to be my choice but switched to Kline and yes they are getting p=
oorer in quality. Try to sharpen a flat blade screwdriver and the metal is =
so cheap it heats up so fast you have to barely touch it to the wheel. Even=
 screwdrivers with replacement tips the Philips tips never seem to be consi=
stently the same size. Some are good some aren't. Today, using stainless st=
eel screws putting up outdoor speakers, new Philips tip keeps slipping out =
of the screws. Up on a ladder can't get good pressure on the screw. Probabl=
y cheap screws because I changed the tip and still couldn't get good turns =
on them.=20

Yeah, just one more aggravating thing to contend with along with the heat.