Help me use digital input on IP Cam?

I have played with IP Cams for a number of years now, but one area defeats =
me:

Digital inputs.

(I've also played with microprocessors, particularly the Arduino. I DO know=
 some of the basics!)

"Digital input"... by this I mean the place you attach two wires, and, if y=
ou get all the settings right, the camera takes a picture and sends it in a=
n email, or to an FTP server, etc, when the right thing happens on the wire=
s. I've even made that work with a Wansview NCB541W!

But I have spent HOURS failing to make it happen with a Compro IP60, and (s=
o far) quite a while failing with a TP-Link TL-SC4171G... both upgraded to =
current firmware.

All I have tried so far is to get either to deign to notice a switch closur=
e... If I get that to work, I'll dare to think that eventually I can replac=
e the switch with the gate and collector of a transistor, but I'll get fanc=
y after I can do "simple".

So! Is it too much to hope that a simple "doorbell" type switch (momentary)=
 should be enough to make the camera see the "input"? Are there "gotchas" s=
omeone can bring to my craving attention?

Has anyone managed to get either of those cameras to "see" an input? (The I=
P60 has a page in its interface which seems to offer switch status informat=
ion, and yes, I realize that the page would need to be refreshed to see a c=
hanged state on the input.)

I've searched and searched for the specs of the TP-Link's I/O connector blo=
ck... four terminals, presumably two for the input and two for the digital =
output the device claims to support... but which pin which role? To make an=
swering easier, if anyone knows the answer, let's agree to call the termina=
ls "1" to "4", with "1" being the one farthest from the edge of the device =
which is near the connector block. (Edge that is near, that is.) IOTW: 1 to=
 4 left to right, as you look at them from the POV that is most obvious.

=3D=3D=3D
Thanks if you can help!

Yes, I know that there are many devils in the details of the settings insid=
e the camera. I was mainly looking for two things:

1) An assurance that SOMEONE HAS got either (or both!) camera to respond to=
 a digital input, and=20
2) Discussion of my optimistic assumption that a mere doorbell switch shoul=
d be enough...

=3D=3D=3D
Sam

(Please respond via newsgroup, not email)