Re: I Want Out

On Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:01:19 PM UTC-5, John Smith wrote:
> Well, I have had one extreme lowballer, and a couple that talked the talk=
,=20
>=20
> but when it came down to talking about numbers just stopped responding.
>=20
>=20

Hi John, I don't know where or how you obtain your leads from. I no longer =
have to hunt for leads but back in the day, I would designate a day to go d=
oor to door in shopping centers just asking if people wanted an alarm syste=
m. I would note where new shopping centers were being built, keep a log of =
my visits and noting possible installs and when to re-vist to take another =
shot at getting the job. Don't quote anything elaborate, front door, back d=
oor, glass break and that's it. Keep the price as low as you can. Be prepar=
ed for a high attrition rate as small business fail. So make sure you don't=
 get into any long term payment agreements. What worked for me (depending u=
pon the size of the job)  was to ask for two to four hundred up front and $=
40.00 a month until the total was paid off then it would drop to $20.00 per=
 month. Really, equipment is paid for by he $200 and the $40/60 per month i=
s your profit to be paid off in a few months. Even if they go out of busine=
ss in 6 months your ahead. Some of these accounts will thrive and eventuall=
y you'll get their homes and referral. Another thing I've always done it to=
 write a brief newsletter every 3 to 4 months that I include with the monit=
oring bill. Nothing fancy, just a single sided typed review of some of the =
jobs you're doing, some statistics about the advantages of owning an alarm =
system, how to check their alarms etc, etc. And of course outlining what se=
rvices you provide. Offer a month or two or three credit to anyone making a=
 referral that turns into a job. Don't do random mailings. Depending upon t=
he neighborhood, sometimes door hangers work. And don't forget to stop in a=
t every construction site and ask to speak to the builder, foreman or homeo=
wner or get their telephone numbers to follow up. If no one is there, tape =
you card to the front door. Write a short personal note on the card, tellin=
g them what you can do for them. =20

Just remember, you're sowing seeds. Some will come up and some wont but eve=
ntually if you get enough seed out there it begins to grow a crop that you =
don't expect. I've had people call me two years after I scouted a housing p=
roject while it was under construction.=20

Also, networking with other trades helps some too. Join a business club in =
your area. The insurance guy will have a customer that's had a break in, th=
e contractor will be rebuilding a house that had a fire, the plumbers custo=
mer had a flood ...... and so on.=20

Don't fret over the lowballers and free alarm phonies out there. Their cust=
omers were never your customers to begin with. Anyone that believes they ca=
n get something for nothing isn't smart enough to be your customer.