Re: Gotta Love A Hydraulic Slub Buster

news:3c2e43c1-247d-4748-acb5-0b257c25b382@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Friday, January 10, 2014 12:59:10 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> I know most of you guys never need anything more than your old 7.2 volt
>>
>> stick battery Makita cordless and a step drill, but yesterday I was
>> really
>>
>> thankful for my 18 Volt Milwaukee cordless and my hydraulic slug buster.
>>
>> The problem I've always had with step drills is that you are basically
>>
>> drilling the same hole 5 times even for a smallish half inch KO bushing.
>>
>> Each step is harder than the last.  Still, if you only have one, and you
>> are
>>
>> drilling in a horizontal orientation where you can brace into it, its not
>>
>> bad and often takes less time than going and getting the right stuff out
>> of
>>
>> the truck.  It still takes some time, but at the end of a dozen holes in
>>
>> medium gage galvanized steel your arms aren't noodles, and your hands
>> aren't
>>
>> numb from vibration.  1/2" pilot point drill bit with a little Tap Magic
>>
>> cutting oil, and about five pumps with the slug buster, and you are
>> snapping
>>
>> in your bushing and pulling the wire through.
>>

>> Maybe not quite as handy as the scissor lift, but the next best thing
>> after
>>
>> you are up there.
>>

> Holy crap Bob, I just checked out the hydraulic punch set. You'd have to
> have to punch out a whole hell of a lotta holes to warrant THAT kinda
> money!
>
> Not always .... but mostly around here   ....  they use the pre punched
> metal studs anyway.  Just add grommets and pull with maybe a custom hole
> here and there.
>
> Some studs have rolled edges on the elongated holes so you don't even have
> to add grommets. But .... I don't do commercial anymore if I can
> absolutely avoid it and the only time metal is used is sometimes in
> residential after market basement refinishing jobs.

You must have looked at an over priced proud of their own poop Greenlee.
LOL.  It doesn't look like the one I have is available anymore.  I admit it
was a Harbor Freight tool.  I have used it to punch hundreds of holes for
1/2" KO bushings and dozens of holes for 2" KO bushing.  I am quite sure I
paid a tenth of what the Greenlee unit cost.  Harbor Freight used to be the
poor man's get'er done store, but they have less selection, and the quality
has gone to total crap since the son took over the company, looted it, and
threw the old man out on his ass.  (Had him physically escorted out of the
building).  Sad thing.  Yeah, 3 grand for the Green Lee set is a bit steep.
I bought my HF for one job several years ago, and I still use it.  Every
once in a while it will leak around the fill port.  I just tighten the screw
and its good to go.

This looks like the same tool I have by a different importer.  Mine did not
come with a 1/2" punch.  I had to buy it separately.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-DIES-1-2-TO-4-DRIVER-HYDRAULIC-KNOCKOUT-PUNCH-SET-/141154451020?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20dd75fe4c

I do have a Green Lee ratcheting set also, but I lost the wrench and one of
the punches somewhere, and I just haven't gotten around to replacing them.

---