Re: Gotta Love A Hydraulic Slub Buster

On Friday, January 10, 2014 12:59:10 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
> I know most of you guys never need anything more than your old 7.2 volt=
=20
>=20
> stick battery Makita cordless and a step drill, but yesterday I was reall=
y=20
>=20
> thankful for my 18 Volt Milwaukee cordless and my hydraulic slug buster.=
=20
>=20
> The problem I've always had with step drills is that you are basically=20
>=20
> drilling the same hole 5 times even for a smallish half inch KO bushing.=
=20
>=20
> Each step is harder than the last.  Still, if you only have one, and you =
are=20
>=20
> drilling in a horizontal orientation where you can brace into it, its not=
 to=20
>=20
> bad and often takes less time than going and getting the right stuff out =
of=20
>=20
> the truck.  It still takes some time, but at the end of a dozen holes in=
=20
>=20
> medium gage galvanized steel your arms aren't noodles, and your hands are=
n't=20
>=20
> numb from vibration.  1/2" pilot point drill bit with a little Tap Magic=
=20
>=20
> cutting oil, and about five pumps with the slug buster, and you are snapp=
ing=20
>=20
> in your bushing and pulling the wire through.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Maybe not quite as handy as the scissor lift, but the next best thing aft=
er=20
>=20
> you are up there.
>=20

Holy crap Bob, I just checked out the hydraulic punch set. You'd have to ha=
ve to punch out a whole hell of a lotta holes to warrant THAT kinda money!

Not always .... but mostly around here   ....  they use the pre punched met=
al studs anyway.  Just add grommets and pull with maybe a custom hole here =
and there.=20

Some studs have rolled edges on the elongated holes so you don't even have =
to add grommets. But .... I don't do commercial anymore if I can absolutely=
 avoid it and the only time metal is used is sometimes in residential after=
 market basement refinishing jobs.