Re: Bluetooth thingy

On Tuesday, December 31, 2013 8:51:44 AM UTC-5, ABLE1 wrote:

Hi Les,

Yes, I'm aware of all that you said.

I went through getting hearing aids with both my parents, so I'm aware of w=
hat they can and can't do. It's just that .... even with the ability to adj=
ust the various frequencies, there are some combinations of sounds that can=
cel out the equalizer settings of the hearing aid. Unlike our brain, an amp=
lifier processing and putting out two frequencies, or a harmonic of one fre=
quency from two different sources will either cancel or create a third freq=
uency. In my opinion, gleaned from watching what my parents went through, t=
here's no way any one but me can adjust for that. I watched what they were =
doing over their shoulder. They didn't like or want me to watch but I didn'=
t give them a choice. There's not a damn thing that they were doing that I =
couldn't do with the program. I did see that if you could tweek the equaliz=
er under actual listening conditions by trial and error you could do a much=
 better adjustment than some "audiologist" ( ie. glorified technician)sitti=
ng in his office saying
 " OK, try this and come back if it doesn't work." After three or four trie=
s you get tired of him taking guesses and just live with a $5,000.00 inadeq=
uate piece of crap that,.... by now you've had too long to return. Sound li=
ke a familiar scenario?=20

As far as the tinnitus, yeah, I've been dealing with it for over fifty year=
s. I did lots and lots of shooting when I was a kid and young man. Ear prot=
ection wasn't even a given a passing thought back then. I also broke an ear=
drum diving when I was in the Navy. Interesting how it happened. I was stat=
ioned on an island in the Caribbean. (Yeah, I know "Tough duty Huh? :-) Was=
 scuba diving and had a cold. I couldn't clear my ears and was about to sur=
face when a school of about 50 or so hammerhead sharks came around the poin=
t and I had go deeper to hide in a cave. I actually heard my eardrum give o=
ut and it's been buzzing all these years. I can ignore it most of the time =
but when a loud noise occurs or if I'm at a loud movie or Broadway show, my=
 freekin ears ring loud for a few days after. I bring ear plugs now and put=
 them in when the sound at events gets too loud. I don't do much shooting a=
nymore either. Even with ear plugs and ear protection the impact/concussion=
 causes an increase in the ringing. It's passable with the .22 and .38 wad =
cutters but full .38 and .357 magnum leaves me buzzing.

It's getting to a point that I'm going to need something but I'll hold out =
as long as I can. Either that or become a recluse. Ya know? come to think o=
f it, that's not a bad alternative.=20
 =20